Wine101 Feature: Thoughts on Closeouts/Web Specials on Wine?

I recently found a 2005 Lange Freedom Hill Pinot Noir on the bottom shelf of a liquor store. It was standing up, covered in dust, and still had the original price tag of $24.99. Sometimes you gotta say “what the heck” so I took the gamble.

It was flawless!

Brent,

I can hear your concern…but here are some of the close outs that I’ve gotten and each & everyone was worth twice what I paid. I think close-outs are a value. It means you have to be picky, but these are a few I can think of and when I bought them.

Price: Wine (Purchase date)
$43: 1995 Charles Heidsieck Champagne Blanc des Millénaires (September 2009)
$13: 2003 Domaine du Vieux Télégraphe Châteauneuf-du-Pape Blanc La Crau (August 2009)
$33: 2005 Nicolas Joly Clos de la Coulée de Serrant (Nov 2009)
$30: 1994 Chateau Musar (June 2010) - 3 cases!!! 3 faulted bottles
$18: 2008 The Eyrie Vineyards Chardonnay Original Vines (November 2012)
$20/$40/$80 - 375ml/750ml/1.5L : 2012 Domaine du Vieux Télégraphe Châteauneuf-du-Pape Blanc La Crau (July 2015)
$33: 2015 Domaine Henri Gouges Nuits St. Georges (August 2018)

Kirk,

Thanks but I have no idea what makes your comment relevant.

I’m glad you had some great luck with your bargain purchases.

That was my point.

Wines are dumped for many reasons, the least of which is a supplier selling off wine they already know is spoiled in some way.

I’m not sure what your post does to illustrate the opposite, particularly if you are proud of getting some great deals on great wines that were in good condition.

[scratch.gif]

Brent, I mis-read your initial post. Looks like I was backing up what you were saying.

Wine text is a good option for
Quality wines at a heavy discount. We have picked up several lots after signing up last year. Wineries use these type of platforms to rid of extra stock

I do CellarText from them, the higher end wines - picked up some fantastic Willi Schaefer #5s a while back

I’ve bought back vintage Barolo bottles from Costco and they were corked / cooked. Took them back and refunded no problem. Since then, I’ve become friends with the guy who runs that department at Costco and even he get couldn’t tell me where those bottles came from. I avoid these types of bottles now.

Meanwhile, I always shop Wine Slash online. Usually great prices, some back vintage bottles, but always free shipping and no tax. If I have an issue, they’ll send me a new bottle or give me 115% store credit on the next purchase.

I’ve only had one bad bottle from WS. It was a 2012 Banfi Poggio alle Mira Riserva Brunello. But, to be fair I’ve had multiple bad bottles of that particular wine when purchased locally. So, I don’t think it was their storage practices.

1 Like