Wine when traveling in UK - what are my options?

Just my two cents, but taking a case box of your own wines one way seems like a lot less effort and complexity than what you are contemplating doing.

Plus it will almost certainly result in a better selection of wines than what you’d buy there.

Hopefully Jason will, if he hasn’t already done so before his trip, obtain a credit card with no FX fees (whether Capital One or otherwise).

It would be a very fine cellar to rival what Raeburn alone stocks. They really have a wonderful range.

Long time lurker, first post…!

I’m Uk based, love North Berwick with a passion, a great spot for a break. There is a great wine shop on the high street (it’s a small place) called Lockett Bros. Helpful staff, decent selection with some good fizz and I believe some nice burgundy. And great whisky. They should be able to sort you out whilst in East Lothian.

Have a fantastic trip!

Welcome Andrew! Good to see a familiar name (and a new one in that wine shop - I like that they stock Soalheiro Vinho Verde, both bottlings being excellent and both also shine in the cellar).

I didn’t mean his cellar compared against the inventory of some wine retailer, just what is likely the quality (including maturity) of what he would bring from home versus what he would probably buy there in this situation.

That’s just a guess though. Maybe he’d buy equal or better wines from Raeburn than he would have brought from home?

I just think he should at least consider it. Taking a case shipper box one way on a flight is not difficult or expensive, and now everything in your cellar (including mature bottles) is available to you, at no additional cost.

You can only bring 4 litres of wine into the U.K. without paying any duties.

Echoing Russell,
Used to be 2 litres but they kindly doubled the duty-free allowance a few years back, so 5 bottles per person straight through the green channel:~)

Now you almost certainly won’t be caught with more. But it’s on you!

dont miss trying the sparkling wines made in West Sussex while you‘re there –
the best ones offer Champagne quality for Champagne prices, but there’s something quite unchampägnish about them