Wine tour of California, when is best time

Hang on im confused

At 10 PM in August its typically 80 degrees is Chicago, are you saying that in these wine areas it gets into the 40’s ???

No way. Summer evenings even in SF don’t drop below mid-50s. The warmest evenings are generally during harvest months of Sept-Oct.

Late summer or early fall has the best chance of warm nights, depending on location. If you want to meet winemakers, they start getting sort of busy. newhere

Yeah, I mentioned the best time to meet up with the winemakers upthread but now it sounds like he prefers weather over company.

Why I suggested early August. Best overall option.

Just booked a trip in February for these very reasons (plus it’s got to at least be warmer than here in New England).

I’m pretty sure we had a summer night dip into the 40s in Napa while I’ve been here, it probably was 4AM, so yeah probably in the evening it isn’t ‘cold.’

Now while the hills are green and traffic is light.

Oh gee, so I’d need to bring a coat. This is hardly a reason not to go visit someplace. If you are coming from a place where temps can get to minus temperatures, I don’t think this is an issue.

My favorite time(s) are probably April or May, after that it gets too warm, especially if you want to carry wine around in the car before leaving for the airport, and, October just for the feeling in the air like someone else suggested. Don’t care for California during the rainy season, as it’s rather dreary.

December and January can have some dreariness, but odds are against it during any given week. We’ve had beautifully sunny days in the 60s pretty much every day this year so far.

Check out these pictures for some evidence:

Another vote for November. Harvest is over. Traffic is lighter. The light is great. The sky can be an amazing blue and the leaves on the vines are beautiful colors. It’s the closed thing we have to a Eastern/Midwestern autumn.

I remember enjoying the view at a November wine club pickup party at Nalle, after a freakishly easy drive up the East Bay, and thinking, “This is what people who don’t live in California think it is like living in California.” [snort.gif]

Define “best.”
You can assume winemakers are busy with the harvest Sept-Oct, but it’ll vary.
Lowest crowds winter. Best weather autumn.
If you want a combination of decent availability/low crowds/weather go in the spring.

I’d say mid-50s is more typical, but yes as soon as the sun hits the horizon, the temperature drops like a stone. If I go for a summer evening bike ride with temps in the 90s, if there’s a chance I’ll be out past dusk I pack a jacket.

Markus, it’s not about ability to handle weather, but I would assume that many people on a vacation to California would prefer not to have deal with cold temperatures and potential ice on the road in winding, rural areas. We spent time in Paso Robles during a cold snap last year and had a lovely time, but it was 24 degrees in some areas and quite chilly. But I live in California and can travel to many wine regions on a whim, it’s a different scenario for those who are not residents.