Wine Stuck at retailer

This is true, but a) they may or may not win (they should); and b) if they do win, it won’t stop states from banning retailer shipments. It just wont’ allow them to ban SOME retailer shipments while allowing others (e.g., banning out of state but allowing in-state, or allowing only if reciprocal).

The long term solution is to make our displeasure heard, and that of our our fellow consumers and retailers, in the various state-houses. But that will be slow and certainly won’t succeed everywhere.

I have been requested by various retailers where I have stranded wine to send them shipping labels that “ship the wine from me to me”. That is easy enough for me to do, but is it ok or am I now running afoul of the law?

Afoul, based on intent.

Well I fear Ohio has definitely joined the list of no deliver states. I had an order from NYC today returned to sender via UPS. The retailer was not notified and still doesn’t seem to know what’s up.

Does anybody know where in the state government this order would originate from? Not that it will do much, but I’m in the mood to write a few letters.

Probably the attorney general? Maybe your department of revenue?

I think it’s a NYC thing, not an Ohio thing. Lots of NY retailers can’t ship out directly anymore.

Agreed - I had an order from a Manhattan wine shop a week or two ago. They used a service to ship for approximately the same cost they used to ship for. Delivery without issue, other than they told me it would arrive on a Friday, but actually didn’t show up until Monday.

I hope what you say is true but why would they let the package travel all the way here and then just not get on the delivery truck. Wouldn’t they stop it in NY?

Do we know where this directive is coming from, the arrival states or the departing? If it’s money driving the issue (distributors) it would be the arrival state with the loss of sales I’d think.

I made a purchase at Weygandt in DC yesterday and the retailer will not ship to NY, NJ, or CT. PITA.

Wow, most places were still shipping to CT last I checked. More bad news.

and they’re the 2015 Jouans too. Road trip

Not always true. My local UPS Store will accept FedEx as long as you have a mailbox at that store.

Its a crap shoot in Ohio now. Some do, some don’t. Even from the same states. It certainly seems up to the sender.

All my wine has been arriving last week and this week (a dozen or so boxes). I just received another UPS update from a different NYC store which is set to arrive here tomorrow. We’ll see if it makes it, but if it does it makes no sense, since the other NYC one was turned around.

Some of my undelivered stuff is boarding for Noo Yawk tonight.

Forgive me if I sound fired up here, but there has been a ton of talk for years that this day was coming. I stopped bringing it up for fear that I was sounding like Chicken Little, as were others who I continue to discuss these situations with behind the scenes. Not for nothing, FedEx and UPS have been sued for over $1 BILLION at this point for transaction pertaining to Tobacco and Alcohol shipments. Worse, the cases against them are actually well written and stacked to the rafters. There is only a small group of retailers helping in this fight, and the rest just complain. There is also not a big consumer group getting involved either.

Again, I’m not directing this at any of of the 3 of you, but this has been a long time coming, and I’m going to say something way scarier right now-

THIS IS NOT THE END. THIS WILL GET A WHOLE LOT WORSE.

It’s all third party shipping now, unless you live in one of the 14 designated states.

CN someone explain how using a 3rd party shipper gets around the restrictions?

It does not, which explains the lack of written instructions.

Correct, and worse, it’s only a matter of time before they get squashed too.
They get around it via the winery provision, or at least, I have to assume. Some don’t put a 21+ sticker on it, which is incredibly stupid if they get caught.