Wine Expo
2933 Santa Monica Blvd
Santa Monica, Ca 90404
1-800-WINE EXPO

Twenty Twenty Wines
2020 Cotner Ave.
West Los Angeles, CA 90025

Where do you live?

Empire used to be Capital Wines in Albany, but moved out to the burbs. It’s generally well run. I only meant that it’s the kind of store where you’re not that likely to walk in and find some hidden gem.

Drink the Grapes is really “Freeman’s Bridge Wine & Liquor‎”.

Nice neighborhoods! [worship.gif]

About an hour away in SW Vermont.

Wow, SoCal has a lot of nice shops. A few more:

Mission Wines – great selection (especially Burgs, Austrian, Cali Pinot, Rhone Rangers), knowledgeable staff
1114 Mission St, South Pasadena, CA‎ - (626) 403-9463‎

Cheesestore of Silverlake – great selection of small producer wines (and awesome cheese, too)
4400 W Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles, CA‎ - (323) 644-7522‎

John and Pete’s – eBob board member David Griffith works there and is a good guy
621 N La Cienega Blvd, West Hollywood, CA‎ - (323) 655-5497‎

In Denver and surrounding areas:

Applejack (enormous, some good deals, a bit out of the way)
Argonaut (best option near downtown. occasional deals and good daily drinkers)
Primo Vino (terrific shop that i’d go to all the time if i lived closer. killer italian selection, knowledgeable staff, occasional great deals)

In Napa, California:

Napa Valley Wine & Cigar
161 Silverado Tr.
Napa, CA 94559
(707) 253-8696

Wine lounge, enclosed cigar lounge, abuse by Carrie Bowman. CA, WA, OR with some French, Spanish and Italian wines

Backroom Wines
1000 Main St.
Napa, CA 94559
707-226-1378

Very knowledgeable on French wines. Wine tasting bar.

Napa Valley Wine & Cigar, did I mention us yet.

Cal Wine
1313 Main St. (New address)
Napa, CA 94559
707-226-7671

Wine tasting bar.

Oh and Napa Valley Wine & Cigar [wink.gif]

Brad Vanderpool owns that place. I have bought a fair amount of Italian wine from him and some Cali as well. Great guy, great store.

I used to love Wine Warehouse, but the two North Tampa locations closed and not a great option for me to hit South Tampa. My last visit though…it seems their selection has been reduced. Nice prices however.

While anyone can hit Total Wine or ABC, I don’t care for Total Wine’s pricing and ABC is hit or miss based upon location, although the store at Bearss Ave and N. Dale Mabry is about the best. My preference for price AND selection is:
B-21 Wine Company
43380 US Highway 19 North
Tarpon Springs, FL 34688
(727) 937-5049
http://www.b-21.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

B-21 has from what I’ve seen the best selection of wines in Florida for pretty good prices. Probably weakest with Italian wines, but I don’t care much for them anyway.

They also have 6 killer themed tasting each year - August is Pinot Noir from around the world…can’t wait!!

Great shop! Went to an Aldo Conterno Granbussia tasting there. Remember being tempted by Burgundy, Riesling, and some Chiantis and Brunellos.

I was at B-21 a couple of weeks ago and walked away with several bottles.

In this area, top recommendation would be:

Spring Lake Bottle Shop
1400 Third Ave
Spring Lake, NJ 07762
Phone: 732-449-5525
http://www.bottleshop.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Knowledgable and friendly staff, and very good selection.

i have been able to gather all the major wineries from US in my data base

Dotcom Wine & Spirits
23 Crossroads Plaza
6117 West Hartford

Fine Wine House
901 W. Foothill, Suite A
91786 Upland

K&D Wines
1366 Madison Ave
0 New York

these are the ones which i have personally visited, i have more in the list but havent visted all of them
http://www.vivino.com/shops/united-states/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Great wine recs. Am in NYC rt now and plan on visiting WL, and also Chambers. Thanks for the info, Jorge. How far are Max and Posners shops from NYC?

In Austin, I can recommend the following shops:

The Austin Wine Merchant
http://www.theaustinwinemerchant.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
512 West 6th Street
512-499-0512

Good selection, very knowledgeable staff. They are starting to stock Dressner Imports now that they are coming into Texas. Grower champagnes from Thierry Thiese and Becky Wasserman.

Twin Liquors has a chain of stores throughout central Texas. The quality of the wine selections is almost entirely at the local manager’s discretion. For that reason, I like the store at 3652 Bee Caves Road in Westlake. The manager, Peter Gatti, has a broad and deep knowledge of wine and is very approachable. His phone number is (512) 327-0315.

Otherwise, it’s a bit of a wasteland, though occasionally Whole Foods or Central Market will have a great wine at a great price.

A short drive from SFO airport is Weimax (http://www.weimax.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) in Burlingame. Small. Family owned. You won’t see any shelf talkers with rating points. You won’t find many cult wines (but they do have some) here but they do have lots of esoteric QPR wines from all over the world. Easy to find a $8-25 great QPR wine. They have a tasting bar in the back which they randomly comp.

I’m also a fan of Weimax, although I now live far enough away that I don’t get there often. It’s a very personal store, Gerald knows the wines that he sells. Wish I lived closer. I also have fond memories of a winemaker dinner he organized at a restaurant called L’Escargot around the corner on California.

-Al

Veronica,

Grapes The Wine Co is about 25 miles from NYC (15 minutes from Leo’s house)

Wine Connection is about 45 miles from NYC.

For anyone looking to buy wine while they are in Florence, Italy, Enoteca Bonatti is definitely the best. A bit outside of the historical city center, but your prices, selection and advice will be way better. If you are in town while the weather is nice, check their site because they have great free tastings every Thursday night.

http://www.enotecabonatti.it/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Denver, CO:

Another recommendation for Applejack Wine & Spirits http://www.applejack.com/

I am not a New Yorker, but go there a few times a year and always look for wine stores and BYOBs. If you are in the East Village or Lower East Side, two stores I would recommend are:
Tinto Fino on 1st Ave (near 6th St, I think)
For Spanish wine only. They have an excellent, well organized selection and great, friendly service.

Another eclectic store for good recommendations and quality wines on their shelves is September Wines at Ludlow and Stanton. We spent over an hour chatting with folks in there about wines and that is always a good sign.

1 Like