Wine Scene in Boston/Cambridge?

Want to get a plug in for Eastern Standard as well for their outstanding wine list - interesting selections, including rare and older wines, at fair prices. And their bread pudding is the best dessert in the city.

They also do some Coravin pours of rare/vintage wines.

I second the bread pudding recommendation. My lab is just a block away from them, a blessing and a curse :slight_smile:

Late to the party here; welcome to Massachusetts! Lifelong resident here, congrats on your relo, hope you have a fantastic experience here and never want to leave. Another vote for shops that have been mentioned - Dions/Gordons/Bauer/Blanchards. I’ve also gotten some good deals from Post Road in Wayland/Upper Falls Liquors in Newton. One more I would add is Ansonia wines of Newton; father/son French wine importers with a Saturday only sales space to buy, pick up online orders and taste wine. Check out ansoniawines.com, and drop in to their depot some Saturday for a tasting. They work with lots of small producers in France, mostly Burgundy, but some Rhone and Bordeaux, etc. I’ve gotten some really nice wines from them, and they are super people. Would also love to meet fellow geeks in any offline that comes up in this area. Cheers and happy new year!

Federal is a scene! Like stepping in to an era gone by, but they have some real treasures in there, and by that I mean some great and rare (old world leaning) selections.

I wouldn’t worry about it though, it’s not a big college town.

Federal definitely a nice older selection. They do tastings on Wednesdays in their cellar and pull some nice stuff.

One idea for an offline is that I belong to the Algonquin Club here, “in town.” (Merrill thanks for reminding me that Suburban Bahstonians are so scared of the city that they have to call it town to make it not so scary). Any way, we could do corkage there and have dinner in one of the dining rooms or in a private room.

champagne.gif flirtysmile

I’m game.

Steve, that sounds great!

Thanks again everyone! Looking forward to seeking out all these places and hopefully meeting a few of you soon!

I missed this thread?

I’m game for an offline. Can we bring wine to the Algonquin Club?

Some good information in the above posts. I agree with much of what Rob stated.

It’s not the best food / wine scene, but has its spots. Anyone comparing BOS to NYC / LA/ CHI / SF will be deeply disappointed, and I agree that some of the best culinary experiences can be had just north in Portland. Much has changed since I moved out the 'burbs (Needham) four years ago. Since I don’t work in town, I feel as though I’m no longer in the know. But when I do head out, I usually find myself ordering a cocktail rather than wine. Lists tend to be $$$ and not always the most inspiring.

For retail - I usually check out Gordons, Lower Falls, Ansonia

As for an offline, would love to as well but life is about to get crazy so might not be able to get my head above water in 6months…

i am a big Bin Ends fan. Definitely worth the ride from cambridge. Sign up for the email list. Great choices, better prices and incredible customer service. !!!

I’m also up for an offline. Let us know when you get settled in, Alicia. There are a couple of potential venues west of the city.

I live all the way past the other end of the state near Albany, NY, but do let me know when you are planning a Boston offline. I have family outside Boston and wine to pick up there.

Well if Ken is in, sign me up.

Interested here as well.

As an aside, is anyone else going to the Union des Grands Crus Bordeaux event put on by Gordon’s at the Boston Harbor Hotel on Friday?

I will be there for the Battle of the cabs dinner as part of the wine festival that night. Where in the hotel is that event and what time? Wouldn’t mind double dipping.

Wish I could but I’ll be at work :frowning:

Yes, they will charge a corkage fee, but we can bring in wine, as it is a private club.