Wine-related 'gadgets' you can't live without

mine is something like this. Wine Trolley Bag 6 Bottle NEW #27150 | IWA Wine Accessories

Drop stop. I use it every day. Pick them up for free at various tastings. No more drips down the side of a bottle.

Mine is an insulated Chill N Go wine bag, with the bag exterior being cloth with a shoulder strap. Inside the bag there are two insulated pouches on either side, and within each pouch you can put one or more
frozen ice packs to keep the wine cool. If you’re just bringing one bottle, you can put glasses in the other side.

In addition, I use the wine bag to carry my basic accessories, including a corkscrew. Another nice piece to keep in the bag is a wine pourer with a built-in filter:

https://www.amazon.com/Wine-Pourer-with-Built-in-Filter/dp/B000U85UGG

For those rare occasions where you don’t finish the entire bottle of sparkling wine, a Champagne stopper is also very helpful:

https://www.amazon.com/Sapore-Champagne-Stopper-by-True/dp/B00CAAF56C/ref=sr_1_14?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1496854020&sr=1-14&keywords=champagne+stopper

Bruce

Indispensable little gadget - Vacuvin wine cooler sleeve (great when taking a bottle of wine somewhere or when a bottle has been at room temperature).

And I love my Pungo - very helpful when I only want one glass of wine and may not get back to that bottle for a few days.

In addition to the Durand, I have a rather classy, heavy, black leather two-bottle carrier that wouldn’t look out of place for BYO to the best restaurants in the country…have gotten chef compliments on it when picking it up later after forgetting it. My kind of man bag :slight_smile:.

Thanks for the info on the Wine Pourer with Built In Filter. I’ve been searching for one for ages, I got mine at least 10 years ago at Total Wine. This tool has saved a bottle on more than one occasion and you don’t have to decant to filter anything out. I quickly ordered the 4 pack!

This thread is getting expensive for me, as I also ordered the Durand which I’ve been wanting for a while.

What’s the trick with ‘Screwpull’ that is different from other, similar designs?

Reidel polishing rag.

A small Swiss Army knife. Not very sexy, but nothing cuts foils off bottles quicker or easier. And I almost always have it in my pocket.

Looking back, it was Bruce Weimer. Sorry to misattribute there.

https://www.amazon.com/Picnic-Time-Cellar-Insulated-Bottle/dp/B0006B0M3S

This is the bag. The perfect bag for all offlines, and sturdy, light and cheap too. Seriously, every one of us (unless you already have some more expensive carrier) should own one. Bottles, mags, glasses of all sizes, pockets for notepads and corkscrews, usable for any number of non-wine events.

It’s also surprisingly nimble at restaurants and all. The color and look are very discreet and don’t look weird, like it does when you walk in with a cardboard Spieglau box or whatever.

Thanks just bought one

In answer to Todd’s question, the Screwpull (now known as Le Creuset) seems to be higher quality,works more smoothly than its imitators, and lasts longer. At least it seems that way to me. It is my understanding that the patent(s) on the Screewpull expired many years ago, and now anyone can try to duplicate/imitate it.
Amazon carries an interesting book on the history of the Screwpull. Not a great book, but interesting.
Phil Jones

Write your name on a glass all you want Joe…it will be mine all the same.

+1. Don’t always use them on my own, but often. Always when we have company.

Also, my glass specific drying cloth. Use that every time we drink wine.

I don’t think there is any specific gadget/accessory I could not live without. Do I like the Durand? Sure, but I could use any opener 99.9% of the time. Stemware is replaceable. A decanter could be a cheap pitcher or even a clean vase. Drop stopper? Sure, but a napkin can catch that drip.

Easier to list the wine gadgets I wish I never got/bought. i.e The Vinturi, or the assorted charms people have given me over the years, or this silly thing my MIL bought me…

I love that silly thing… not as sexy as a durand but works quite well on every difficult cork I ever tried with it…

Sean

The gadget I love was given to me by my sister-in-law whose idea of a great wine is a white Zin that has been opened and consumed over several weeks. I don’t know what it’s called, but it is kept in the freezer until needed and then fits around a bottle of wine to be kept chilled when being transported in a bottle bag. Since we byob a lot in PA and my wife drinks mostly sparklers it comes in handy and works great.

What brand? Would love one of these.

My “The” Wine Check - of course!