Wine Pairing -- Korean Food

Rubbing salt onto the wound.

You wouldn’t prove anything at all. You’d just have a good time!!

Exactly!

Very good recommendation for reds. BTW, not all Korean food are spicy. The best quality Korean beef is comparable to Japanese Kobe at about1/2 the price, ie still expensive. Some of the best Uni and Hamachi come from Korea and most of them get sent to Japan. Also sweet and spicy whites.

Not a big fan of Soju and light korean beer taste like piss water, not unlike coor’s light.

Sorry I didn’t see this before the OP’s dinner, but since many seem to be interested and have experimented in this area thought I’d add my experience.

I hosted a Korean food charity dinner a few years ago. We served kimchee, pork dumplings, grilled barbecued sirloin tips and pork loin, all prepared by a Korean-American friend from family recipes. Since the diners wanted wine (we served some beer as well), I cast around for possibilities, and the red I settled on, which worked remarkably well, was a Ribeira del Duero in a somewhat more modern style. We also served a South African Chenin. I thought both paired quite well, and the group seemed to agree.

– Matt

Well, as usual, there’s the story about the best made plans…

I opened a 2010 Domaine Pierre de la Grange (Luneau-Papin) Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine Vieilles Vignes Sur Lie to start with. The idea was that it would be something light that would transition from welcome drink to the chestnut/mushroom soup that I prepared. Well, it turned out one of my cousins couldn’t drink because of medication and the other wasn’t drinking because he was trying to lose weight. So my g/f and I drank the Muscadet and then I opened a 2007 Havens Merlot with dinner because it was the only thing I had laying around in a 1/2 bottle, not including the desert wine I was going to open. I didn’t care for the Merlot – not because it didn’t pair well, but because I just didn’t care for it. Thankfully the 2007 Beringer Nightingale went well with the Chinese pastries and fruit that we had for desert.

After dinner waters?

Nah, that would be the Nightingale.

But I did sneak in a couple Chessman cookies before bedtime.

If you have after-dinner water, is it sparkling? With ice?

Do you TIVO while having your cookies? Do you eat a whole cookie? Do you ever share with someone?

Are you a dark or milk chocolate sort of guy? What are your thoughts on raisins?

Corey is a Craisins kinda guy.

You know me so well. flirtysmile

[gheyfight.gif]

Second to Mexican, I would argue…

I had a 2009 Briceland Syrah with Mexican at a friend’s house and it was an inspired pairing. Mind you nothing we ate was crazy spicy, but somehow it just worked. But all in all, I’d say Korean is harder to pair with wine. More different flavors in a meal, especially when the panchan range from acorn jello to sardines to kim chee to fish cake to potato salad.

I love the acorn jelly. My all time fav banchan.

I love the oi kim chee. Well that and the marinated bean sprouts. Never really got into the potato salad though.