Wine pairing for fettuccine alfredo

Valentini Trebbiano, Emidio Pepe Trebbiano, basically any high-acid, unoaked Italian white…Verdicchio, Vermentino, Arneis, Fiano di Avellino, etc.

2 Likes

Chardonnay is my first answer, but I acknowledge what was said in the OP. Chenin Blanc works just about anytime Chardonnay works.

I agree with the idea that a high acid white is the way to go, to cut through the richness, but – for me – this is one of those dishes where rich-stacked on-rich works best. Yeah, some acidity is nice, but I’d be looking to go with a rich/broader Chard. over a leaner, more mineral-driven example.

As usual, there are likely many different options that would yield success. :slight_smile:

We drink sparklers with this but does not have to be Champagne though I like this. Reds don’t seem to be that good with it.

1 Like

Any sweet Riesling gets put in the incinerator immediately at my house! [wink.gif]

Same for me. Even young Barolo from a more elegant producer (Burlotto, Rinaldi, Sobrero etc).
However, it depends on the Alfredo. I’m aware that people make different versions, but with the classic - just pasta water, butter and well aged parmiggiano reggiano - I’m a big fan of nebbiolo.

2 Likes

Fair in general… but in this case with a “decadent” Alfredo sauce, it’s the only beverage I’d actually want.

I agree, a high acid Italian red would work well too.

Really, this isn’t a particularly difficult or finicky dish to pair wines with. Probably almost any wine would do at least okay, and a good number of whites and reds would work positively.

1 Like

My go to for cheesy-goodness dishes (without tomato) is a Savoie white.

1 Like

My thought would be a riper Chablis such as Julien Brocard Boissonneuse ‘18 or good Aligoté like Benoit Ente.

1 Like

Uh, Steve, do you have questioner’s remorse at this point?

1 Like

best pairing I’ve found is a high quality Lambrusco with some acid. Something like the Cleto Chiarli Fondatore

1 Like

Shocked it took this long for this list to pop up. Also Soave Classico, Castello di Jesi, a dry Colli Orientali del Friuli.

Also champagne.

1 Like

Is this the wine and food pairing version of “Carthago delenda est”?

2 Likes

I’m in the red boat as well, but I like Oregon Pinot Noir’s for my cream sauce pasta’s. [shrug.gif]

1 Like

These all sound good to me.

As Chris S said, this dish should be compatible with a wide range of wines, red and white.

2 Likes

There is no correct answer. Drink what you like and you’ll live.

1 Like

I can totally see petite sirah as it’s big and tannic enough to carry through heavy rich dishes. It’s my go-to for grilled burgers. Cheers.

If champagne is now an illegal recommendation then I’ll revise it to Spanish cava.

1 Like

Well it did get me thinking about going in a rustic direction. My initial thought was Champagne but now I’m wondering if something that heavy obliterates the subtle and elegant.

Does any wine have a higher “recommended in food pairing threads” to “actual consumption” ratio than Lambrusco?

It feels like half the threads have people recommending Lambrusco. But I’m guessing it’s probably less than .1% of the wine that WBers own and drink.

To be clear, I’m not saying your recommendation may not be a good one. I’m just marveling how one wine that hardly anyone drinks is one of the most recommended wines in every one of these threads.

4 Likes