Wine Market Fatigue and the Tsunami Wave is coming Ashore

The first thing anyone says who’s not from the US when you drop them at the wine store is: “why is your wine so expensive?”. It’s a good question. We in the ITB then tend to launch into a defense of why that’s justified, but the question is at its core very legitimate. Why, exactly?

Look how much CA wine gets exported compared to other New World countries - we trail behind both Australia and Chile, despite them being about a 10th of the population and having much fewer producers. CA wines are simply not very competitive on the world stage.

Some price self-regulation, or at least some less indulgence, would do CA and US wine some good long term.

Completely agree.

Agree, except the fear of provenance for auction bottles.

I predict nothing will change and this Board will be having the same conversation making the same predictions 18 months from now.

I largely agree with you! We may see one or two [wow.gif] moments, but to your point, nothing that is going to raise the ocean temperature to bathwater status.

Well, it may be that as of today much of Europe’s wine jumped 25%. I bet California might be in the mood now to compete at this new level by increasing their prices by 23.56% give or take.

The 18th, and hopefully not. But if true, the market for California wine right now is very soft at auction, and barometer for buyers of California wine, and what they are willing to pay.

that gave me a laugh! Thanks David.

Had the same take from a wine broker friend, market has been soft this year, even in periods where purchasing expected.