Wine Luggage

Wine Check works beautifully, is the value play, and can handle a whole case of wine without adding weight. You could just use a styrofoam shipper without the Wine Check but without wheels you’ll have a heavy, awkward box to lug.

I also own a 6-bottle Wine Cruzer which is even sturdier and easier to roll than a Wine Check. It’s my go-to if I’m bringing 6 bottles or less. They cost hundreds and are heavy, to the point where a full-case-sized one would result in overweight charges.

I’ve never owned a VinGarde Valise and haven’t been tempted to buy one.

2 Likes

I’ve used my Wine Check many times, and have never had a problem with damage to contents. Yes the strap isn’t ideal (I think better for shorter people but I don’t have the cojones to ask my wife to take it), but I’ve certainly towed it around cities and been glad I had the wheels. It has gone to oversize luggage once but generally not.

1 Like

I’ve always checked wine in a cardboard shipping box, with standard packaging and some news paper stuffed in the case. I’ve done this probably 5-6 times and never had a bottle break. Just make sure you are right at the baggage claim and cushion it when it hits the rail when it first hits the baggage claim.

1 Like

VGV has worked great for me. I transport wine to and from both of my homes. The wines are secure, easily checked with baggage and are typically at cellar temperature when I unload them after my 3-4 hour trip (counting Uber + flight+ rental car, or vice versa).

Colin [cheers.gif]

1 Like

I have the 8 bottle Winecruzer. It a Pelican Case with foam cutouts, wheels and telecoping handle.
Filled it weighs less than 50 pounds. I have taken it all over the world with zero breakage or issues.

2 Likes

That seems like the most durable option. Does it fit champagne/burgs?

2 Likes

Yes it fits Burgs and Champagne… and a sidenote, it very well insulated and bottles hold their temp pretty well.
The only gotcha is the 2 slots immediatey above the wheels are a little shorter than the others… so very tall bottles will not fit in those 2 slots.
Unless you want to pack 8 Rieslings it is not an issue. Most 750s fit in every slot.
It’s pricey, but I have had it over a decade (in fact, my address tag is still an old Northwest one) and it can take a real beating.

1 Like

The diameter of the slots may be larger in the 8-bottle model than they used to be, but most Champagne bottles were a very snug fit and Krug and Taittinger Comtes didn’t fit at all. Which is why I bought the “Decanter 5-Pack” model. It’s limited to 6 bottles, not 8, but 2 can be Champagne (one in the Champagne slot and one in the decanter slot).
https://winecruzer.com/5pack-decanter-layout.html

1 Like

Don’t know what these sell for in the real world but woot has VinGardeValise Piccolo for $119, the Petite for $150, the Grande for $180

1 Like

VinGardeValise has had frequent 50% off sales since Covid. No one is traveling and a sizeable part of their business comes from tasting rooms too. I have owned several versions starting with Version 1 and I bought the most recent Version 5 at 50% off. Other than the external burst straps which I don’t use, I have had no problems with any of the VGV cases I have owned. One caveat, if you are loading a 12 bottle case with big Champagne bottles, it will not hold 12 bottles. It will hold 10 bottles. When I am carrying Champagne or exceptionally fat bottles, I alternate Champagne bottles with more normal sized bottles and I can get a full 12 bottles in the case.

2 Likes

Get a Pelican and custom foam insert done @ MyCaseBuilder … would allow you to customize for bottle types if you want also. Pelicans are meant to be loaded down with heavy gear and have heavy duty wheels, stack well, built like tanks, and you can buy other foam inserts for them as well (I.e. if you know you’re going to be traveling with magnums, Champagne/Burgundy bottles, etc).

1 Like

I have had several and use them regularly. Luckily I have never had a bottle break in any of them. However I have had handles and wheels break which is a real pain while traveling, especially if I am at a music festival and have a long complicated route to get to the back stage area which is usually the case.

The best I have found and the one I currently use is the Casepro

1 Like

I routinely wrap wine in t-shirts in my luggage and strap them down as tight as possible and have never had a problem! In a large suitcase I can get 8 bottles plus all I need for a trip under 50lbs. Not elegant nor temperature controlled but Ive never had a problem. Traveled both domestic and from Italy with my “method”.

1 Like

It’s ghetto, but this is what I do as well. Brought back ~10 bottles of scotch from London using this. Can add in a WineSkin if you’re really nervous.

1 Like

I (used to) travel a lot and have brought wine from France, Italy, Argentina, Brazil, Panamá (great pricing due to low taxes). I always use wine skin (link below) and it works really well to have the wines mixed with the clothes. I have also checked boxes and never had an issue; in fact, airlines handle boxes with more care than a a bag that looks like regular luggage. That said, I would consider buying a case for a discounted price.

https://www.amazon.com/Wine-Skin-Wineskin-Bag-8-Pack/dp/B00GIX531O/ref=sr_1_7?crid=24I90BF3CL6Z1&dchild=1&keywords=wine+sleeves+for+airplane+travel&qid=1599666560&sprefix=wine+sleeve%2Caps%2C177&sr=8-7

1 Like

I think I’ve done most of what everyone above has recommended (t-shirts, wineskins, and wine luggage). I have had a vingard for a couple years and picked up a couple more during one of their recent 50% off sales. I couldn’t recommend them highly enough - they work great and the piece of mind they give me when traveling with one is completely worth it. Good customer service too in my experience - only issue I have had is with the burst straps and they have been great about replacing where necessary.

I have been checking a 6-pack styrofoam shipper with 6 bottles, well wrapped with packing tape, to Alaska for years. Just letting the lodge recycle it when I leave. Never lost a bottle.

2 Likes

Thanks; that is great to know. I see they now have a promo to get a smaller one free. I will wait and keep an eye open for the 50% off (Hope it to comes back )

1 Like

Thank you so much for the weight info.

Re Weight; Just came back from France with 12 bottles in a Wine Check and was at 44 lbs. A mix of bottle styles, but no Champagne-size. Also had two umbrellas and a few other items in the 1-2 inches of top space between the box and cover, so that probably accounted for 1-2 pounds of the 44. I have used it 3-4 times now and have not come very close to the 50# limit on any trip.

1 Like