Wine Locker at Restaurant

I have a temp controlled locker at a Myrtle Beach area restaurant. The restaurant gives you the locker for free IF you purchase a $5k gift card. You also get a 20% bonus on your $5k and no corkage fee. The restaurant will source wines for you at retail and you can place your own wines in the locker. The one restriction is you tip in cash.

It really makes the restaurant feel like a private club with great food and an excellent wine list.

After reading all of the scenarios above, I feel quite lucky.

How much does your wife charge you for corkage? champagne.gif

It is quite the racquet only if the wine locker is at your tennis club.

That’s pretty cool. Not sure I’d ever go the the same restaurant enough to make it worth it, but if I did, this would be a nice way to go.

What’s up with the bold part? I understand from the server’s perspective, but why would the restaurant go so far as to put it in policy?

Good article on the lack of BYOB in today’s Wall Street Journal.

Why aren’t you paying service? Do they open the bottle, provide glassware? Even if they don’t I still compensate the staff who are losing out when you BYO.

My guess is that if they were to use credit cards, they would have to pay the two or so percent of charge to cc company.

I see what you did here

Late to the party here. I had a locker at Morton’s in White Plains just for fun. Berkserkers would see my name on it and send me messages claiming that they had raided my locker while having dinner. The wine I kept in it had an average retail price under $10 just so it looked full, and I would respond to such messages with a request for their TN on the Las Rocas or the Borsao. The only reason I kept it (they never charged me for it) was that when a friend or client would mention that they were going to Morton’s for a special birthday or something like that, I would put a special bottle in the locker and arrange for the manager to deliver it to their table with a flourish. It was worth it for that, but not if they had required me to buy their overpriced steakhouse wines to keep it full every year.

The only other notable thing about the locker was that it was between the lockers for Judge Jeannine and Nelson Peltz.

Jay - you are not late - see post #11 above. You are consistent, however!

1 Like

Something to do with their liquor license?

The two big reasons are it’s the best restaurant for 60 miles in any direction and it is a block from my house. We eat there 1-2xs a week. Well worth it!

It’s just their policy. You can’t use a credit card for the tip nor can you use the credit from your account. So, dinner costs me $30-$40 in cash tip. No big deal.

My CC rents wine lockers for $50 per year which : eliminates all corkage on byo (always allowed), I fill it with my wines, I get discounts on Club wine dinners, and have received some amazing discounts on wine purchases…e.g., just before Christmas Taittenger NV was $25 a bottle when bought by the case. Pretty happy with this.

Is it temp controlled?

Deja Vu all over again!
neener

Yes.