Wine Library Credit Card Breach

Had to cancel my BofA Visa bank card just a last week or so. Had a bunch of charges on it for makeup and women stuff. Honestly, if I tried to steal or anything like this, I’m sure I’d be busted in a heartbeat. Of course the dumb ones seem to get away with it.

Oops Alan, sorry I’m dense, I did completely misread your post. I am willing to cut WL a little slack on their response, though they should have gotten something out sooner - they’re in the middle of a hurricane right now. OTOH, for years they’ve apparently had a major security risk that they must have been aware of, and they did not place a priority on fixing it. That is a completely self inflicted wound, and their customers are suffering from the collateral damage.

Both my Amex and my wifes Amex were used to buy WoW and Blizzards stuff, both cards were replaced.

A heads-up…
“We are writing you today regarding a security breach that may have involved the credit card information you used to make a purchase at WineLibrary.com.”

Now I know why I had to cancel my card, despute charges and reissue!

Cheers
Rip

Just last month I had a fraudulent WoW/Blizzard charge on my cc. Amex didn’t pick it up but I saw it on my statement. They reversed the charge. Yes, it happened to be the card I used at WL, but that card ‘get’s around’ so I cannot pin it to them at this point.

By the way, for PSA value, shouldn’t this be in Wine Talk? Many who may have been victims may not look at Asylum (I hardly ever do) and this is definitely wine-related.

+1
I posted it in Wine Talk (I looked there first)
and it got dragged here (for consolidation).

Cheers
Rip

I agree, and was going to post that I’m moving it…so…I’m moving it!

Hit my Amex with charges at Itunes in Amsterdam and 2 $1 charges at other spots just to check if active before the big charge. Amex contacted me and immediately sent new cards. I have 3 different amex cards and they did get the one I have used at WL. I would have to say with the business done at WL, I would think they would have the best security available.

I also had a couple fraudulent Blizzard/WoW charges in October and had to cancel my card. It wasn’t a big pain at all, but it’s interesting to see that this is the likely source. I was wondering where/how my number was compromised.

My bofA cc was shut down last month. I called and they told me it was compromised but no other details. Now I know.

By the way, for PSA value, shouldn’t this be in Asylum? Many who may have been victims may not look at Wine Talk (I hardly ever do) and this is definitely not about wine.

[snort.gif]

+1 but it was a while back, so not sure if it was from WL and it’s the only card I use so could have been hacked pretty much anywhere.

I got the email from WL also. Recently, I hardly use the Amex card. So it was easy to spot the fake Blizzard charges, then another one in the last few months. In total, these only amounted to maybe $80. My card has been replaced.

I’ve only bought something from WL once, on WB day. And I don’t recall which card I used, so I requested the Amex bill from then. We’ll see, but I bet it was the Amex card.

New Amex here too. Total of 4 fraud attempts made. 1 in August and 3 last week. Same things of music and Wow. The way those Seavey drink makes me say the small inconvenience was almost worth it. Almost…

I had a Blizzard charge today. BoA called, canceled the card and I am not responsible. I have heard nothing from WL but seems to be a continuing issue.

This is one of the reasons why I use a Citibank mastercard (other providers have this too) that as a benefit provides one-time use “virtual” credit card numbers for online purchases. Everything shows up on your card statement like normal, but it also shows you the virtual card number was used for that purchase. Problem solved.

2 different cards both compromised but both banks caught it, denied the charges and replaced the cards. I’m not a gamer so obvious I guess. Still a hassle. I think I will call in payments.

I the last time I purchased anything from WL was November 2009. Got hit with three Blizzard charges back in August on my BofA debit MasterCard.

It’s been a few years since I purchased from WL. I received their email yesterday and had been already hit by the Blizzard charges Sun/Mon on my AMEX when I checked my statement today. I check charges every couple of days for this reason. It’s not just WL as there are a number of companies involved in the breach.

iTunes and Blizzard… called by CC this morning.