Wine Investment... what is better?

1.) Welcome aboard.
2.) Duck.

too many keyboard gangsters here apparently, sad.

pretty bad when someone can’t even ask a harmless question without getting berated by a few select forum degenerates that believe they are better/smarter than others that are simply curious and genuinely new to the market.

goodbye and done #lastpost

Glad to see you go.

Sad event for this forum. Wine is supposed to be about happiness and hospitality, not one-sided or intolerant thinking. We should be able to disagree and co-exist.
I hope that Justin forgives and returns.

I get the impression that people who build and religiously maintain their verticals tend not to sell or drink the wine, but bequeath in death as foregone life pleasures.

I worked in the wine auction industry for 10 years. Don’t listen to your friends. There is no premium for entire verticals.

Welcome to Wine Berserkers! [berserker.gif]

I’m not. And I find some of the hypocrisy on this board ridiculous. You chided me for a little sarcastic humor on another thread, and then come back with this kind of response. It’s no wonder we don’t see more new joiners actively participating.

Agreed Victor, it’s funny how rude people can be. There is nothing wrong with him asking the question. If you don’t like the question, move along, no need for the long list of hostile responses. I don’t flip wine at all, but found the question to be mildly interesting.

If I have bunches of LMHB, LLC, PB, HB, or even Simard, does whether I describe such as cellaring or investing matter at all?

If I have paid fully for my wines, does anyone have any right to praise or vilify me on that basis, or to tell me what to do with that wine?

Maybe, those jackholes would enjoy an invasion or questioning of their own privacy and rights. I propose that we volunteer other posters on this thread, to receive what they eagerly deliver.

Or maybe we should eject some WB’ers if I disagree with them. Fair, no?

Ignore the non-helpful people. There was some decent advice here. Ultimately, it’s tough to make money investing now-a-days because of wide spread knowledge/internet sales/auctions, etc. So unless you just got on/were given a place on an under priced mailing list, keep your money.

Let me add this is not for amateurs…

…or new competitors on a privileged playing field.

Seems like a reasonable question. I don’t flip wine or sell it as an investment. That said,

Nobody really cares about verticals when buying. I think they used to 20 or 30 years ago. Now, verticals are just an excuse to get rid of the lesser vintages. The profit is in the top vintages.

100 points from a Parker or Wine Spectator are the only scores that carry a lot of weight in the market place. 100 from another critic of a 99 or less from them has little weight. Even then 100 is not a guarantee. There area maybe 20 wines that might do well as an investment from a top vintage. That might be too generous. Maybe 10 world wide.

And, there is no guarantee those 10 will continue to escalate. The real trick is to figure out who can get 100 points that has not yet and get access to those wines. But good luck. That is very hard to figure out. Some wines like Screaming Eagle seem good. Others like Scarecrow appear to be, but who knows. Others like Schrader might escalate, but if you bought to invest, you probably wont make much by the end of the day. All got Parker 100 points.

If you hold on to wine long enough, it will appreciate. Every wine collector who has been doing it over 30 years loves to tell you how little they paid for XXXX wine 30 years ago.

JM2C.

I didn’t even think the replies to the original poster were that hostile, but I suppose others disagree

Calling others as forum degenerates and keyboard gangsters merits that response.

Agreed. But making things worse does not make things better.

Which post was the one you would say drove him to post, “Goodbye and done?”

What was your advice to him?

Is wine a:
A) Beverge
B) Broth
C) Sauce
D) Commodity
E) Investment Asset

Paul, can we get a poll please? pileon

Here is what perhaps got things going here: Genuine, old, well-stored bottles of wine have really skyrocketed in price and dwindled in supply, especially during the past two years. I myself once could easily buy delicious, twenty-five-year-old US reds for $15 to $25 each. They have at least doubled in price, or more, if I am lucky enough even to find them.

Imagine now buying very old Burgundies and Bordeaux for $300 per bottle, instead of $75 formerly, but only after much more work, and greater-than-ever counterfeit risk. So, a newbie poking around in this shrinking watering hole will easily elicit snarls, barbs, and bites from people already doing this as a hobby or business.

“Do not dare what I do!” In other words, sheer hypocrisy.