Wine in Minneapolis

Tilia is where its been since day one, in Linden Hills about 4 blocks west of Lake Harriet. Piccolo is gone but I think something is in its space. Maybe former Piccolo people.

Only had take out. The richness of their food does not appeal to me but I know I’m an outlier. The wine bar looks fun if I can find something to eat? I’m a picky eater by most foodies standards.

Craig dine in the pasta bar.

We woke up at 315 am to make our flight to Minneapolis. We managed to fit a fair bit into our first day in the Twin Cities. Brunch at the bar at Spoon and Stable was impressive. My wife’s raviolini was very well executed, it was stuffed with pasta and sauced with a leek pesto. There was a garnish of trout roe and chard leaves. One of the best pastas I’ve had. My Duck Pastrami Benedict was very good as well. We had a glass of Tribute to Grace Rose with our dishes. Very nice Grenache Rose.

For dinner it was the Bachelor Farmer. It was very good. More produce focused, we had some trout rillette, roasted beets, grilled asparagus, pork belly, and meatballs. There was great raw, cooked and pickled items on almost every plate. We drank a bottle of Voge Cotes du Rhone. It was delicious and to me kind of Barbera like.

We ended up in North Loop wines which had a nice selection and I may end up there again. Doug who is an I’ll Drink to That fan set us up with an SB by Leah Jorgensen. Today I’m taking an Uber to Sunfish.

Dan. We are booked ar Grand Cafe on your recommendation. We also may drive up to Duluth on the weekend. Driving here seems pretty straight forward, it seems you don’t have to stop for pedestrians even when they are in the crosswalks.

I appreciate everyone’s advice.

Surdyks has a wine sale June 7-10th
Thomas Liquors on Grand Ave in St Paul has their 20% sale going on likewise.

Went out to Sunfish Cellars this afternoon and had a good time. Picked up some nice wines at great prices.

2016 Pradeaux Rose
2016 Massican Sauvignon
2017 Mathiasson Rose

A couple of 2015 Clape CdR to take home. Enjoyed meeting Mike.

Sounds great David. Never bought a bottle from Sunfish. Decant prices but not worth the drive for me. I might buy more now they are in I Nonni one of my favorite Twin Cities Restaurants.

John. If you go, get the Maccasin SB, it is fabulous. We took yourvrecomendation and are having Black Sheep pizzas tonight.

It was a 22 dollar Uber ride from downtown. I plan to go back on Saturday.

We finished off our visit to Minneapolis yesterday. I imagine we will come back some day. There is a lot of great stuff there. To recap our last few days. We ate at Bar LaGrasa and the Corner Table.

LaGrasa looked like it may be a disappointment when we came in and had to wait even though we had booked. It seemed that happy hour tables were about to empty out. When we got our table we ordered a bottle of DeForville Chardonnay and some toasts both were delicious. With our pastas we drank a bottle of 2014 Perbacco. The room also quieted down a whole bunch. We had a great time.

We were really disappointed with the Towneplace Suites but loved the Warehouse District, we checked out and spent our last 4 nights at the Downtown Westin which was very nice but don’t eat in the restaurant. it’s terrible. Too bad because the room is very cool.

The Corner Table was probably our best meal, inventive food and great service. I also ate 2 breakfasts and a lunch at the Bachelor Farmer Cafe.

We also took in 2 Twins games, both wins with multiple homeruns, watched a guy named Jake Cave hit a huge HR to Centre Field that ended up landing 30 feet over the wall. Saw the Budwieser Clydesdales on Sunday.

We went to Minehaha Falls and ate at a place called Sea Salt which was decent if you like depp fried food. We also spent a rainy Saturday strolling around Mill City and the Stone Arch Bridge. There are some extraordinary buildings there and in Downtown. I loved the Wells Fargo Tower and the building across 7th that showed it’s reflection.

We rented a car and drove to Sunfish after the falls and then to MOA to shop at Bean. It was my first time at a Bean store and loved it. Went home with full suitcases. The rest of the Mall that we saw was typical, just bigger.

The service, selection and prices at Sunfish are first class and Mike is a great guy. Also loved the people at North Loop Wines. They also have a great selection.

Thanks for all the help.

I just returned from a short visit to Minneapolis yesterday. We ate at Tilia and The Kenwood. Both were very good: The Kenwood in particular had an edge in refinement that makes me want to return! Drank a bottle of Loimer (Austria) Extra Brut sparkling Gruner/Zweigelt/Pinot blend. Citrus and floral herbal nose, slightly earthy and leesy in addition to apple fruit on the palate, well integrated and enjoyable.

Great thread, my daughter is moving there in August, thanks.

It’s a great city. She should live in the North Loop. It is very cool and safe.