Wine impressions 1-24-23

Wine impressions 1-24-23

2021 Rocca Felice, Dolcetto d’Alba - while well made and correct to the variety, I am once again reminded of how little I care for Dolcetto.

Fair.

2020 Domaine Menard-Gaborit, Muscadet Les Prinees - simple, straightforward Muscadet with little to complain about and little that distinguishes it.

Fair.

2021 Poggio Anima, Nero d’Avola Asmodeus - on the rustic side but with good textures and flavors that are true to the grape as well as somewhat complex. Interesting but not fascinating.

Good.

2019 Pepiere, Muscadet Clisson - a deep stoniness underlies fruit that whistles with acidity but is still rich and generous, texturally broad but not unfocused as the flavors are detailed and crystalline. Some may call it atypical and I won’t argue - but I will drink this anytime and store some in the cellar for its next incarnation.

Superb!

2021 Rocca Felice, Roero Arneis - good Arneis character, cut and balance and a light bitter note on the finish which seems to disappear with food. Best with food.

Very good.

2012 Cowan Cellars, Pinot Noir Anderson Valley - this has become even more than I had hoped for; silky texture, delicate but intense cranberry/strawberry fruit, savory accents and good length.

Excellent.

2021 Vincent, Pinot Noir Ribbon Ridge - there are winemakers who get it - their terroir, their vintage, the way to let both shine in their wines - no one does it better. I have always enjoyed Oregon Pinots and have looked for authenticity in a sea of the same old stuff. Very few give me hope; only one gives me pause.

If you want an honest glimpse of Ribbon Ridge, taste this. Transparency, thy name is Vincent.

Truly wonderful!

2019 Benoit Cantin, Irancy - 100% Burgundy but not from the Côte d’Or; fully ripe (but not overripe) Pinot with depth, structure, edge and complexity; young but on a par with most better premier cru Burgundies for less than $30. A crazy good bargain, an arresting wine and one hell of a future in the cellar. An @thruthevines recommendation which was, as usual, top notch.

Excellent now, with a huge upside.

Best, Jim

4 Likes