Wine drinking in France sucks poll

I have eaten there quite a few times, as recently as earlier this month.
A perfect example of a “neighborhood/locals” restaurant where the price/quality quotient is difficult to beat.

Tim, my wife and I had lunch at the Pavé d’Auge a couple of years ago. It was fantastic! Had the multi-course (5, I think) with wine pairings. Wines were expertly matched. Followed up with an unplanned stop at Domaine Dupont (really terrific Calvados). What a fun day that was.

Unfortunately, not. <

A pity.
I will note your restaurant - and maybe stop there when again in the region next summer.

I fully agree. As noted earlier, I have not found anywhere in the US, which offers this quality of food/wine for a similar price. And there are many similar options in Lyon.

Gerhard - The address is 30 Rue du Boeuf, in the old city, Vieux Lyon. I hope that you enjoy it.

This is the big takeaway here. In dining as with wine, the more and better your information, knowledge and experience, the better the quality and value.

Alan Weinberg picks a $30 Burgundy, he can probably get a really good wine. A guy goes into the same shop and picks a $30 Burgundy at random, or based off a half assed sales clerk recommendation, odds are high he gets a mediocre or worse wine.

Likewise, you live in Paris or Manhattan, know all the ins and outs, you can probably get an awesome dinner a number of places at a moderate price. But if you bumble into town for the first time and wing it, odds are high you’ll get mediocre food and/or overpay.

It’s a good thing to keep in mind next time you’re tempted to say “Region A that I know really well has great wines and value, but I’ve tried a few wines from Region B and they’re overpriced and not that good.”

But there are some places with bigger “sweet spots” than others. There are a lot of ways to go wrong in Manhattan (and Paris); Lyon is harder to screw up.

I don’t disagree with this. However, a meager investment of a few minutes time in the Paris or ‘XYZ city’ thread on the Epicurean Exploits Board will drastically shift the odds in ones favor and significantly reduce the chance of going wrong. And, if a thread for a particular city of interest does not exist, simply start one by requesting recommendations. Unless it’s someplace like Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, there will likely be multiple suggestions, within a short time period.