Wine Drinking In Burgundy Is Good

I think we had a bottle of this up on the deck one night? Was pretty good from memory…

Loving the write-ups, seems you guys are having loads of fun (as usual)!

Enjoy mate.

Cheers mate. Yes, we had one of these with you last year.

A few other tasty older things:

1992 Gaston & Pierre Ravaut Corton-Charlemagne, Grand Cru: Some honey, white mushroom, tinned peach and mandarin. It is full and round, with good richness and a finish that has some mineral and plenty of freshness.

1989 Allexant Patrice & DO Pommard Le Bas des Saucilles: From Magnum this was very tasty. Just starting to get some compost and decaying leaf action. There’s deep red berry fruit, some leather and spice and excellent volume. It has a sweet core, lacy feel and a gentle flex of muscle to the back-end. Delicious with terrine chaud from the Meursault Boucherie.

1972 Remoissenet Père et Fils Corton, Grand Cru: Some animal fur, graphite, iron, earth, sous bois and a little coffee development. The palate is solid, with sweet fruit and all sorts of savoury nuance. A beautifully resolved '72, with fresh minerally acidity carrying the finish. It sweetens considerably in the glass.

1963 Hospices de Beaune Beaune Patriarche Pere et Fils: This was the Cuvee Estienne and a very tasty drink. The colour was quite deep. There’s plenty of sous bois, overlayed by some raisin-like fruit. There’s some chocolate and cherry going on too. We are wondering whether all of the paperwork was in place when the wine was assembled but it has held on and is in very good nick.

1962 Charenton Nicolas Corton-Bressandes, Grand Cru: Wonderful nose of pine needle sap, earth, red berry and truffle. It is light of colour and quite elegant in the mouth. Structural elements have resolved and it is a fine and lacy wine of good presence and character.

It doesn’t seem like you are leaving any wine for the rest of us…

Jerry,

There will be a single bottle of Aligoté remaining for you when you arrive.

Cheers
Jeremy

Thanks so much for that!!

Maybe tell him which one you want?

hopefully d’auvenay.

3 tasty botts at Table du Square.

2011 Domaine Roulot Meursault. Extremely youthful, pure direct and laden with citrus fruits. It has great clarity and cut and is loaded with geological matter on the back-end.

1985 Faiveley Pommard. In great nick, showing a touch of sous bois, spruce and leather development. The fruits were sweet, with notes of prune, blackberry and cherry. It was full-flavoured, chunky and still possessing ample grip to the long finish.

2015 Hubert Lignier Morey St. Denis Trilogie: A dense, dark and brooding number. It has good ripeness and flesh and will be far more expressive with plenty of cellaring time. There’s big underlying structure.

A couple of bottles of Ramonet at a place that shall remain nameless.

2015 Jean-Claude Ramonet Montrachet, Grand Cru: Montrachet is not usually the wet your whistle type white to kick off with, but when I spied this at a sympathetic price, my whistle was crying out for some Montrachet humidity. It was a sphere of Chardonnay loveliness. So open knit, complex, ethereal and beguiling. There were plenty of ripe orchard fruit notes along with aniseed, spearmint and ginger spice. It had a dollop of butter and loads of smoky mineral. There were no edges, yet it has energy that is far superior to so many others. There’s effortless presence and flavours linger on and on. It is splendid on its own or with food.

I ordered a 2014 Jean-Claude Ramonet Bâtard-Montrachet, Grand Cru as our second bottle. I was on a roll. Colin thought I was working my way down the range, in descending vintage order. Finishing with a 2002 Bourgogne would have been fun, but this was just a quick lunch. The Bâtard had more punch and grunt than the ’15 Montrachet but was not a patch on it for sheer completeness. It was awesome Bâtard none the less. It had some smoky mineral and explosive white peach notes. There was a hint of spice and fabulous citrus and mineral line. It finished with squint inducing cut and was supremely long.

great descriptors—almost tasted the wines.

Perfect notes, Jeremy!

Yes,

Lovely notes mate - please bring me back a case of each!

Cheers guys.

Paul, I’ll pop them in my hand luggage.

I bought a Magnum of 1956 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti La Tâche, Grand Cru from a mate of mine in Paris and we drank it Chez Hall last night. It had a fill that was around high shoulder. The cork was very crumbly but had provided a good seal. I gave it a 6 hours Audouze and it really did perform above expectations. There was some honey and nuts to the aroma, along with Hoisin, soy, forest floor and decaying plant matter. It had some vinous sweetness in the mouth and loads of savoury nuance. It wasn’t particularly deep or long but was beguiling, changing with each sip and gaining dimension. There were some dried herb and floral spice and acidity was fresh on the finish and the salty soy flavours lingered.

Nice!

Coming home with a wet sail Jezza.

arguably the worst year of the century worldwide for wine. My birth year. Tokay did well, nobody else. Interesting note—thanks.

Had a fairly intense last few days Kent.

Wish I’d remembered it was your birth year Alan. I would have saved it and had it with you. Certainly the best '56 I have ever had.

I had a '56 Haut Brion last weekend that was surprisingly good. I mean, it was Bordeaux, so it was already limited in how good it could be, right? :wink: It had some sweet fruit still intact and a nice savory finish. I’ve never had a '56 Burgundy.

I always figured the '56 Haut Brion contained a meaningful proportion of 1955! It is pretty good, all things considered, with reasonable Haut Brion character.