Wine Crasher - really?

I don’t wish them the best at all. I hope they fail miserably in an epic crash and burn. And I hope the same for any other business model predicated on depriving the customer of material information and instead asking for the customer’s blind faith and gullibility (sorry, trust is built, not demanded, and I won’t degrade the English language by describing as “trust” what they are asking of customers). I just hope the brainchildren behind this lose as much of their money as I expect their investors will.

The smart way to get a wine bargain isn’t buying the points without caring about the producer – it’s buying the producer without caring about the points! The exact opposite. When a producer I like gets a low Parker score I’m generally pretty happy about it.

(A low Cellartracker score is something else…in the right context, with lots of responses at varying points on the aging curve, I take those more seriously. If there is a points arbitrage opportunity it is probably in the gap between Cellartracker and Parker scores).

I rarely post in threads like these…
…but so what?
Let him do what he wants and hope for the best.
I’m sure there’s a demographic or target audience To whom this will appeal, and hopefully he did his homework.

His only fault is trying to sell the concept to a board of insane wine geeks.

Seriously? Bitter much? If you don’t like it, don’t patronize it. Life is full of choices. Most of us like to make our own for ourselves thank you.

Yes, exactly. Google the note and it’s the first hit. I was hoping it was going to be a different wine which I love and could conceivably be discounted to that price, but right now it’s free shipping to CA and it seems worth a shot, so I bought three bottles.

It is easy to figure out what the wine is as others mentioned. The pricing is good to very good on the few I looked at. The problem is the crowd sourced CT score doesn’t match the wine critic score and is probably the reason why it can be had now for less.

That’s a pretty ironic defense of a business model predicated on depriving the customer of information needed to make an intalligent choice.

I am with Bob on this one. That is an epic amount of hate for a complete stranger trying to launch a new business. Did some wine retailer kill your dog, or something? Are you new to this internet thing? Dial it down, dude - or you are going to get ignored/ridiculed pretty damn quick.

Cold

Couple questions -

Who’s Bob?
and…intalligent?

<— Bob I think.

Intalligent - Knowing how to use Google

Put your shirt back on, please. This ain’t that kind of party. :wink:

Another wine business venture betting on “fools and their money.” Lunacy IMO.

Ahh, you must be referring to auto dealerships and US politics.

As long as it’s cheaper than other sources I don’t see an issue. Some people just want well reviewed wine for good pricing. They want to learn about new labels/new wines. This is a fine way to do it.

I’m surrounded by early 30/mid 30s professionals who want to enjoy wine but don’t understand wine. A site like this where they can buy wine for cheaper than elsewhere is a good thing for them cause label really doesn’t matter. They build what they want to buy based on descriptors/points and then if they like it they go and buy it again.

Shazam! Got a few of those low RP score wines that are wonderful, and not insanely priced either like their higher scoring cousins. [cheers.gif]

Bingo.

I was actually thinking about mattress manufacturers.

Look, the producer of a wine isn’t just relevant information, it’s essential. It conveys far more important information than a cherry-picked tasting note and rating. I have a problem with commodifying wine that isn’t produced as a commodity.

Hmmmmm, I might know somebody in that business. [wink.gif] [whistle.gif]

Not to everyone otherwise Trader Joes would go out of business. The guy may be barking up the wrong wine forum but there’s nothing essentially bad about his business model. Like I said before, if it doesn’t work for you don’t use it. But allow everyone else to make their own determination based on what THEY feel is important. Right? There have already been a number of examples brought up already where it works just fine.

Its an interesting model, in Australia Vinomofo is causing a real stir with their secret deal formula, https://vinomofo.com/
Not to everyone’s taste for sure but certainly a valid model- wineries get to move through stock, consumers get good deals- so the premise goes in any case.