Wine cellar vs. Wine Fridge

I would add that if you are handy and interested in doing this yourself, Andrew is modestly omitting his own excellent thread on his DIY wine cellar, from which I learned a lot:

I just did some further measuring and discussing with my wife, and unfortunately it looks like I am stuck with only 4 feet deep rather than 5 feet (with 10 feet across). The intended cellar area is in a nook, so I would only be framing up one 10 foot wall to close off the nook (of course I would have to demo the other walls to add the closed cell spray foam vapor barrier). The entry door would be through that new 10 foot wall.

Would 4 feet across be too small to have single racking on both sides? Is it preferable to do double-deep racking against one wall only, or does double-deep even save any space?

I’m likely going to order the modular redwood wine racks, as there are a couple companies in Canada that sell this racking, and it is well-priced. The single depth racks are about 9" in depth, I believe (though probably closer to 12" with the bottle sticking out), and if you install them double-deep, they are 21" in total depth.

If the choice is double deep along one wall or single along two, I would go with the latter simply because it’s easier to access single deep and you’re not really saving any space. FWIW, 4’ (less about 2’ for racks) is going to be tight. If you want to test it out, set a big box opposite a wall, about two feet apart. See if you can crouch down comfortably to reach into the box without hitting the wall.

If you have to demo the walls to add the fourth wall it wouldn’t be too much trouble (from a labor standpoint, not a wife standpoint) to come out one or two extra feet.

Aussie wine writer Tyson Stelzer did a useful little book on DIY options and might be worth a read if you can get hold of a copy.

All things being even, a cellar beats a wine fridge, but despite the running costs, for many people (myself included) a wine fridge is the only practical option.

The best advice I received when I built my wine cellar a number of years ago was to build it twice as big as I thought wouldl need. I did that and its worked out well for me. 4 feet is going to be very tight. If you go with a split system buy it from a local refrigeration company that will service it for you. That’s extremely important. Even a split system needs service now and then (usually on the hottest day of the year) and having an expert close by to fix it can be a lifesaver. I also have a Whispercool as a backup on a separate electrical line and a generator when the power goes out.

How is the temperature consistency/variation throughout the unit? I am seriously considering getting one being that I’m not looking for an heirloom piece of furniture. I just need something to hold me over for 7-8 years (and that isn’t ugly) until I can get a true permanent solution set up. Sounds like you would recommend it for someone in my situation.

Robert,

I recently finished my 2nd cellar project, this time in an unfinished basement (last time was finished)

I used the Instacellar racks from WRA and am very happy with them. I’ve always vented into the remainder of my basement and never found it to be an issue, though they can be a bit noisy when running. I use the Whisperkool unit.

Practicality aside, it will be more fun than any fridge if you can swing it!

Mike

J - definitely would recommend as an affordable interim solution, but by no means a “dream” cellar project like some of the ones posted here. Some day!

I have the unit about 2/3 full now (need to make one more haul from storage), and that has improved its ability to keep a constant temperature. Near the cooling unit it stays at a pretty constant 55-56 degrees, but in the distant corners, where it’s more empty at this point, it can get up to 60 degrees. Perfectly fine and I expect it will improve as I fill and there are bottles helping stabilize the temperature.

In trying to figure out how many bottles your cellar will hold, do you buy German wines or other long bottles. In a la Cache, you cannot do them double deep. In a wine cellar, if you get double deep racking, you can, but they will stick out (difference is you are not butting against a door.

On the other hand, my la Cache has big holes that are good for Champagne and larger Burgundy bottles.

A third alternative is a prefabricated wine room.

Howard, I’ll know first hand in another week or so, but can Germans fit double deep if you insert them pointing toward each other with the necks overlapping?

I see that you purchased a 600 sq ft. spray foam insulation kit, but were disappointed with the amount of coverage. Do you think that was just a factor pertaining to the specific kit that you bought, or that the coverage is generally overstated with all kits?

If my room is 4x10x9 (10 foot walls, 4 feet along the sides, and 9 feet high), would the 600 sq ft. kit be adequate for my vapor barrier?

I have a Koolr and am happy with it. I’ve had it for around 8 months. It’s very quiet and fits all sizes of bottles efficiently (I have the one that’s 3 doors wide and 1 bottle deep. The fit and finish is marginal, but it looks decent. You definitely can’t beat the price.

Hi Robert. 25.5" doesn’t seem very wide between racks to walk through. If you have longer bottles sticking out (Riesling, etc) that takes another few inches away.
Unless you’re unusually slim, I’d want a bit more space to load/pull-out bottles.

FWIW - I have a passive in my basement & a 500 Koolr in my living room wedged between two walls & a french door. The noise is noticeable, but not distracting. I read in there & we watch movies as a family regularly. I assume it would cycle less in your basement than in my living room.

Given unlimited space and a matching budget, I do prefer the safety/ security (temp, not home security) of a built cellar, but if I were in your shoes I’d choose 1 or 2 stand-alones against a wall in your games room.

If I have your dimensions correct, you have 2 walls that are 9x10 and two that are 4x9, plus a ceiling that is 9x10. That’s a total of 342 sq ft., less a door that’s probably 20 sq ft, meaning about 320 sq. ft. The kit promises 600 sq ft. at 1" deep, so you’d get slightly under 2".

I only used the one kit, so can’t say what others are like. I would guess that 600 sq. ft. is in optimal conditions with a skilled operator - they probably calculated it using a single frame on a floor or something. I’m not a skilled operator, and I was going into nooks and crannies, and may not have used the ideal tip. That said, I had an overall square footage similar to yours and probably got an average of about 2" deep.

I forget what they recommend to ensure a full vapor barrier, but I believe it’s under 2". Just do a search.

The koolr units are similar in size. Cannot have Germans/ Austrians double deep, unless you point them nose to nose.