Wine cabinets vs storage

Sorry the delayed response, but I have a Le Cache Contemporary 2400. A lot of it depends on where you’re going to put it. The 2400 is a good form factor for the spot I had for mine, and also has worked out to be just about right for how much I like to have on hand at the house (though I do also have a small under-cabinet wine fridge in the kitchen as a supplement).

Whichever way you go, this is probably the most important advice.

Oh my. This is truly uggly [wow.gif]
[cheers.gif]

Another adherent to the store it at home mantra.
Strongly prefer a walk-in cellar in the basement.
Since downsizing had to settle for cabinets. Still in the basement.
But if it has to go in finished living space looks and style count.
Style preferences are too personal to get advice on a wine board.

From a functional and QPR standpoint, I like Le Cache. Efficient capacity with racks unless you have a lot of mags and fat-bottomed Champagne bottles that have to be stacked on top. Reliable CellarPro chilling units. Many prefer Eurocave, but they’re more expensive and the shelves have lower capacity than racks.

I love having my wine in my basement - just like David says. Too big a pain to go get wine in a locker, too many stories about wine being stolen and too expensive.

On the other hand, buying a cabinet has its own issues, primarily, the cooling units. I have not had good luck with cooling units from various companies - they break too fast. The inexpensive cooling units for the cabinets are just not reliable, no matter what the companies say.

I now have a walk-in cellar in the basement, which means I have a dual unit, which is supposed to be more reliable than the cheaper units in the cabinets. I also have a backup single piece cooling unit for when and if there are problems with my main unit (this is a bigger unit than the basic unit used in the cabinets).

Don’t know what I will do someday when and if I downsize.

The one thing you can absolutely count on with chillers: they will eventually fail. My setup before we moved was similar to Howard’s: A walk-in cellar with 2 identical cooling units, either of which could maintain temperature on its own. When one died, the other took over until the failed unit was repaired or replaced.