Wine and Sleep (or Lack Thereof)

I aim to lay off alcohol/caffeine 2 nights in a row every week (more if possible) specifically for this reason. Sleep quality is significantly lower with caffeine, whereas with booze if I stick to 1-2 glasses I’m usually ok.

This is pure anecdote, but I find that sticking to white wine only causes less of a problem for me in this regard.
Of course, I love lots of red wines, so I’m not always practicing this.

last call in our house is 9:30, and we never drink more than a bottle between us. Has worked for years, but in COVID time, my sleep has been awful. Erratic, interrupted, and filled with the most ridiculously ridiculous dreams evah.

I would not recommend taking much Advil before bedtime. It can negatively impact the esophagus and the GERD it may cause combined with wine may be keeping her awake. Also, depending on the brand, some antihistamines actually keep you awake,

I do both alternative and traditional medicine but am very careful with metallic supplements. They can build up easily and have significant negative effects. Magnesium can cause very low blood pressure levels and can cause a lot of GI problems. I never use them with patients unless carefully monitoring their serum levels of these metals. And I’m not sure WB is the place to discuss medical issues.

In the past year i’ve noticed I will wake up between 3 and 330am without fail if I drink after 9pm. (I’m mid 40’s). Never had an issue earlier in life.

Watch the Netflix show “The Truth about Alcohol” there’s one segment where the host goes to a sleep clinic and they monitor his sleep after a double whiskey. Even though he thinks he slept like a log the data shows otherwise.

Yep. I generally do not sleep through the night if I drink after 10pm. I’ll wake up at 4, 5, or 6am and have to force myself to go back to sleep.

You too, I thought I was the only one :slight_smile:

I’ve noticed similar and try to stop drinking past 9 or so. Usually if we split a bottle, I do a final drink after dinner and that’s well before 9. White wines do better (probably from lower alcohol but who knows). I do better with aged red wines rather than younger as well. Don’t know if that’s sugar, alcohol, or some other oxidative part of the ageing process that helps.

Similar results regarding being stuffy the next day: whites and aged reds usually don’t bother me. Young reds and I’m popping Claritin and Advil the next morning.

I can relate to all the aforementioned issues. Less drinking and/or earlier drinking certainly seems to result in better sleep.