Wine 101 Feature: Decanter cleaning suggestions

Dishwasher works well, denture cleaners did nothing.

Do you need to scrub with the caustic at all? Where do you pour the caustic after rinsing? Or do you add the citric acid into the caustic before pouring it out?

No scrubbing necessary. Just let is soak until all the tartrates/stains come off (just leave it overnight). You can reuse it if you have multiple decanters or want to soak wine glasses etc. Just let the decanter soak, pour into glassware, let is soak and continue in that fashion. The citric is a quick contact rinse (don’t add to caustic or it will neutralize and will not work). Just rinse/swirl after the caustic solution is removed and then rinse with water. Both caustic and citric can just go down the sink when you’re finished.

If you’re just soaking the bottle of your decanter, use a teaspoon of caustic/lye and a cup of warm water. Dissolve and let sit. If you’re filling the entire decanter, use 3 tablespoons of caustic/lye and fill with warm water. If overnight doesn’t get it sparkling and clean, just wait longer or increase concentration (add more caustic) and let sit longer. Dump the caustic and rinse with water, then rinse with citric (1 cup warm water and 1 tablespoon citric acid). Rinse with water.

If you do end up getting caustic solution on your skin, pour the citric solution onto the area and then rinse with water. The citric is quite safe.

2 Likes

Soaps to avoid?

I tried the denture cleaner and it worked really well (just make sure it’s unscented). Let it sit for at least a few hours. I’ve also been mostly using my old 1000ml brewing flask for a few years after the Riedel broke. They’re cheaper, and way easier to clean with a towel since there are less curves and stuff to get under and scrub. Hang inverted on a dowel to dry.

bleach is the easiest. works mint

I’ve used very hot water right after we finish the meal and it has always worked perfectly. Also tried brushes and steel BBs but don’t like using them. I will definitely try the denture cleaner and the salt/lemon juice methods. Thanks for the added tips.