Wine 101 Feature: Decanter cleaning suggestions

I use powdered brewery wash for any discoloration or build up. It is the same stuff that I use to clean my carboys. It won’t hurt your skin and you can soak just about anything in it without hurting it.

This is really nice and informative post specially for them who drink wine or beer regularly. The suggestions you shared about Decanter cleaning is might be useful to people. Although I have tried different kind of caustic chemical cleaners before but that did not worked.

Most useful post ever! If you pick the decanter up just a few minutes after adding the tablet then you can see the stain lift up as it loosens from the bottom.

1 Like

yes the best way … I go one step further I season with moonshine after to kill everything … 190 proof the real deal… we have a bamma shiner who has great skills and I put his work to good use…

Of course for me a good soak with store-brand denture tablets did the trick very well… and it’s really very easy to do!

Une belle histoire de pressing en ligne et j’en suis fier !

Store brand denture cleaners all the way for the inside and a rinse with hot water for the outside is the best cleaning methods I’ve found

I rinse after each use with hot water. If there is some staining over time, a wee bit of dishwasher detergent with very hot water once every year or two takes those out. The denture cleaner sounds safer, though. Never tried it.

Cracking stuff. Hot water immediately after use. A couple of years ago I got myself a long handled, plastic dishmòp - the kind with bristles and a mohican style quiff -, heated it over an element and cunningly bent it into the required shape. Nothing beats the satisfaction of cleaning your decanter with a highly modified plastic dishbrush of your own invention. Wish I had a photo, but to be honest to the naked eye it looks ungainly - only in action can you appreciate its sublime fit for purpose.
Merry Christmas all

Denture cleaner works very well for glasses and decanters. Dissolve with warm water and let sit for 30 minutes or so… Looks brand new.

Did a test run with denture cleaner and posted it here:

An appliance brush works fine.

Coarse salt and lemon juice/vinegar

Common household bleach works wonders. Simple and inexpensive.

The key to any decanter cleaning method is to clean immediately after the decanter has been emptied of wine.
Letting the decanter sit for days/weeks adds to the cleaning challenge.

Step 1 – Pour ½ cup bleach into decanter. Let sit for 2-3 minutes. Swirl decanter to loosen deposits.

Step 2 – Pour 2 cups water into decanter. Swirl decanter to mix bleach and water. Let sit for 15-30 minutes.

Step 3 – Empty your bleach and water solution. Rinse decanter three (3) times with water.

Step 4 – Air dry the interior of your decanter. Wipe exterior of decanter with clean cotton cloth.

1 Like

Works for me but sometimes it leaves a residue.

I like the denture tablet idea - good one.

Normally, this isn’t a problem as I rinse them with hot water before the wine dries on.

Eventually some shellac or staining may build up. I bought a cheap toilet cleaning brush -curved wire with bristles, $5 at the grocery. Then I clean the decanters with the brush and non-scented dish soap - works great. The brush is labelled “WINE DECANTERS ONLY” on the handle and stored with wine accessories, well away from any toilets… for obvious reasons. The key here is the curved wire and bristles. It gets past the neck of a decanter then reaches tough to get to spots easily. Also, I don’t go for way out ‘glass blowing’ art decanters.

I have a decanter that I “inherited” from a wine friend…it’s so wide and has a very narrow & deep opening that it really is a pain in the @$$.

I’ve tried denture removers (5+ times). There is still a white/gray film that looks like something once grew there. I’ll try bleach, but it sounds like I need something more heavy duty to clean it out.

[media][/media]I have a trick for drying decanters.

As a nice little nifty detail, you can use kitchen roll/paper towel to dry the washed decanter.
First I let the newly washed decanter drip with the bottom up. Then, after a while, I turn it back around and stick in some paper towel and leave it there overnight.

The paper towel is designed to absorb moisture rather efficiently, and with two or three leaves/pieces of paper towel rolled together in the decanter, it is perfectly dry and without limescale residues the next morning.

This works great. Especially with decanters of special shapes.

Edit: Some words and phrasings.

1 Like

A mix of bleach and water works for me. Rinse well!!

Water, vinegar & baking soda has worked for me.

1 Like

One of the best and easiest things to do is rinse it out well, BEFORE it dries.