Williams Selyem Tasting

Very true that there are a large number of wines produced (38 at last count), and it would be great to open a large selection of said wines. Having been on the production side - it truly isn’t feasible. When they say they only have a limited selection of older vintages, they’re being truthful. They don’t hold a large library - with most wines 98 and earlier being less than 5 cases per wine (I know, I took the inventory twice annually).

After each release, unless there is a major sales issue - only as many as 14 cases of each wine are held back - mostly to replace bottles due to cork taint or other issues. While it would be lovely for them to open a large breadth of single vineyards for people to try - it just isn’t possible to do so on a consistent basis. While they don’t have to do it either - they do open a large selection at the release parties - if you haven’t been- it’s your best opportunity.

I know the tasting has evolved since my time there (I left in 2012), but certainly each client is a valued member of the list - though the ~200 “A-list” members (those on since the early days and still active) are treated to a few extras.

Thanks Marshall, I don’t necessarily agree or disagree with you, but I do get that a business chooses how to allocate wines to members etc, it’s definitely at there discretion, what’s best for the business of WS. Cheers!

Trevor, this is great info and properly addresses the issues coming out of this thread from a realistic and practical standpoint. Many thanks.

I’ve visited the new facility twice and will probably do so again this year around the time of the West of West Festival. I have purchased a back vintage that we tasted on the visit. I can’t afford to buy all of the Pinots they offer so rely pretty much on impressions of past vintages and the descriptive notes furnished with the release (I prefer cherry, plum, savory notes, mocha, spices, etc. but am not excited by blueberry notes or cherry cola.)

Thanks for the terrific insight Trevor. Great advice to attend a release party. Guess I need to somehow make the time to get out there more often and keep close track of everything they are willing to pour.

Great info!

As far as taking non list members, we arranged this last year and it was totally fine. They treated our guests fantastic despite them not purchasing wine. They treated our guests like their guests. It was great. We got a superb tour that day.

Thanks for your insight Trevor and it is a policy that I totally agree with. WS treats everyone very well and does have a few “extras” for long standing members. [winner.gif]

Cheers!
Marshall [berserker.gif]

Marshall, what most do not know is how WS`s current owners take care of former employees and the original owner. They are extremely gracious in doing so and it is to be greatly appreciated by all of us who are not in the loop of knowing what transpires “under the table”. This is a class organization who strongly support all who have contributed to their success and this needs to be recognized as such. Their hospitality that we talk about in this thread is only a slight example of the integrity they possess.