Willamette wineries to visit in October???

Cody, I’m curious what type of wine related business you’re involved with in Portland?

Shea is not known for their Burg-oriented Pinot style…certainly not in my experience. Stuart is a longtime avowed Burg-head to the exclusion of pretty much every other kind of red wine. OR Pinot is a commendable stretch for him! I’ve got to go with Marcus and David Sawyer with their Eola-Amity recommendations if Stuart’s able to spend a 2nd day touring.

RT

+2, except I would replace St. Innocent with Johan. While technically not in the Eola Amity AVA, it’s only 10 minutes from Walter Scott and Bethel Heights.

It’s been a few years, but I had a nice visit at Big Table Farm. Back then it was just two people who gambled everything on their venture. No fancy tasting room or
staff. Just a rustic farm where they live and work. Not sure what the AVA is, but it’s north of McMinnville. Also enjoyed Patricia Green, Beaux Freres and St. Innocent. Walter Scott is another small operation (or it was) where just two people do almost everything.

Thanks for all your nice comments, invites and pm’s…

I am hoping to spend a day in the Willamette Valley on Monday October 21. Will be staying in Portland with family for 3 days, so one day visiting and tasting is max. Really looking forward to this, a long time goal. (I’ve never been to CA wineries and am going to skip them for this). Will focus more on the specifics as time gets closer. Lots of great opportunities.

Wonder what I should bring along as wampum?

it hasn’t been mentioned yet (although absolutely I would second visits with Jim at Patty Green and Marcus at Goodfellow, along with Walter Scott), but I had an incredibly enjoyable time with Kelley Fox and her wines are beautiful as well. Also, if you stop at Patty Green, you literally drive by Kelley’s spot on the way back to Portland.

. . . I recently met Kelley and I can imagine visiting with her and tasting her wines would be a pleasure. ! So +1 on this suggestion.

we picked up lunch from Valley Commissary and spent over 3 hours just snacking and chatting with her and her assistant in the winery. they opened 4 of their wines +grower fizz +great burg while we chatted. she is quite the personality!

Richard, you’re right. Shea is not Burg-oriented, and I should have read the first post in more detail otherwise I wouldn’t have made the Shea rec. I’m a close friend of Dick’s son Pete, and always felt their wines have a certain element that draws me in (in the most unbiased way). Not over-extracted, but not Burgundy either. Marcus and David have great recs, and the possibilities are nearly endless for a great time here.

Also, to answer your question, I do marketing work for https://www.winemarketjournal.com/, and did work at Brentwood Wine auctions (based in Portland) for a number of years.

Happy that she moved into the neighborhood, relatively speaking but she is the other direction. I mean you could go back to Portland that way but it would be a distinct detour. However, where she is located is just 5 miles down the road.

Thanks for the info Cody. Shea is one of the best known vineyards in Oregon. Probably 10+ years ago I pondered some of their vineyard soil samples with Brian of Belle Pente. There are lots of Shea producers, including Shea…but in general, the Pinots are full bodied. Kelley Fox, on the other hand, has been dialing in her elegant and feminine style…much closer to Stuart’s wheelhouse. That said, there’s only so much time and Stuart’s schedule seems painfully limited.

RT

weird. sometimes my google maps does take me ways even around home that don’t seem like they make any sense. when we left your place I remember driving right by it because I commented on how I should have planned that bit better. haha!

It is “painfully limited”, Richard, BUT I am happy to be finally getting there.

Our sons, now 26 and 32, look back on their trips to Burgundy with me and their mom as “abuse”, (and their mother does not correct them) so…I am delighted to be going back to wine country, at least with only their mother this time. One day is a hefty chunk of our (2.5 day) stay in Portland…and we have friends and family to visit and sites to see. Very much looking forward to forming a [quick] impression. And, really appreciate all the suggestions and thoughts here.

+3 on going to cristom if you’re already going to bethel heights. They’re practically around the block from each other and both make excellent wines.

Good advice so far. Will you be looking to eat out while in PDX?

I am also visiting with family the week of October twenty first.My family are more fans of new world style Pinots. we will have two full days.I appreciate any recommendations. What town is best to stay in? Looking for three nights. How about restaurant reds.

Yes, for sure. But, not haute cuisine, I’d think. Fun stuff; local takes/ingredients, hopefully.

Since we’re staying with a family of young cousins, need a fun place to take all to one night (7 people, plus us). They live in Happy Valley. Hopefully, they can be happy in other locales, too.

Meeting up with other friends from the past, who reside in Portland, too.

Thanks for asking.

Stuart, Jim Anderson knows a good bit about the Portland dining scene. Just saying.

RT

Coquine. And pre order some cookies to take with you for the week.

+1 Coquine.

McMinnville is central to the wine country and has an excellent set of restaurants to choose from. Best restaurants would be:

Thistle
Nick’s
Valley Commissary(lunch only)
Bistro Maison
Pura Vida
Pizza Capo