Willamette Valley— WA Sneak Peek at the 2019s

I don’t have a lot of experience comparing notes against Erin’s, but from what I have tasted I think she does a good job. Just tried the 19 Berstrom Cumberland, which I liked, and her notes were spot in. Went and checked her notes against the 18, a wine I did not care for, and they were also spot on. Both have a rating of 94, again highlighting the importance of notes vs. score.

1 Like

K&L has the Tan Fruit chardonnays on pre-arrival. Not cheap, but the Erin Broooks reviews are mighty enthusiastic. Any advice about which to try?

Having received Mr. Thomas’s 2019 about 3 weeks ago, anyone know if his wine reflects this change?

Got the offer for the AM mailing list. Prices look to be the same as KL so purchased directly with Arterberry. I picked the Tank, Oak and Dux primarily based on the notes from Erin that they might drink better earlier. She is also incredibly enthusiastic about the AM 2019 Pinot’s. The vintage sounds like it’s going to be right in my wheelhouse.

1 Like

Although Erin Brooks’ assessments may be good, her ratings now seem to be on a scale of 95-100, so this just makes little sense to me. I tasted a ‘21 Bethel Heights Casteel the other day at our local wine store, and although it was OK, it wasn’t a 99.
These scores are just meaningless. Perhaps that’s the point?

I miss Josh Raynolds (the man and his reviews), and I wonder if Eric Guido will take the required time for in-person assessments of Oregon wines. I’m hoping.

2 Likes

Eric is off to good start for Oregon. He will be visiting mid-October and he connected with the Oregon Wine Board who is coordinating the collection of samples for his visit (i.e., no charge to us, so we can feel free to include as many wines as we wish). This really helps to get a board and extensive representation of wines to review.

1 Like