Will You Drink an $8.99 Wine?

I’m now more inclined to drinking a $8.99 wine than a $20,000 wine. So I guess it’s yes for me.

Bogle had a similarly priced chardonnay that worked as a weekday summer sipper.

Hm, I would rather drink the $20,000 wine than the $8.99 one. But if I was paying for it, I would rather buy the $8.99 one! I will often drink wines in the low range. There are plenty of pretty good wines for cheap. But alas, I am young and probably drink a little more often and have a little less money than most avid wine drinkers.

Sadly most of what I drink is around $10. I find it much easier to find whites at that price but I’m glad I found this thread because it’s given me a few wines to hunt down. My favorite red I can think of in this price range is from Spain Altovinum Calatayud Evodia. I haven’t had it in the past few vintages, but was killer for the price before. Thanks again for the heads, if I can find it I’ll give it a go.

Kasey - If you enjoyed the Evoida, I cannot imagine that you would not enjoy the Little James Basketpress. Same grape: Grenache. The Evodia is far more modern in style with less typicity, but St. Cosme’s wines, which I think express typicity generally, lean modern without going overboard.

Exactly.

A La Vieille Ferme white I opened at my last blind dinner was a hit with the attendees as it always is for me.

Really! I don’t care for the red, kind of boring, but I’ve never had the white. How is it?

I agree that the red is boring though it’s my usual cooking wine. The white is quite aromatic with good acidity. I’m always surprised when I taste it as in the interval I become convinced that it can’t be as good as I remember.

Thanks, have to try it.

Do you worry about which wine you use for cooking? I just put all leftover/rejected reds in the same bottle. I don’t think it matters much what you use (as long as its drinkable at all), since it gets cooked anyway.

It is easy to open a bottle of 90 RC. All it takes is wealth. It takes skill to find a good bottle of $8.99 wine. Enjoy your wine journey. I wish you well.

In your journey through life. Ask yourself where your humanity lies. Will any bottle of wine be worth $20K to, not you, but an orphan or a person sleeping on the street.

In the past, i bought and drank eight cases of the 1999 Giles Robin, Crozes Hermitage at the price of $9.00/ bottle, including shipping. One of the best wines I have tasted.
Best, Jim

Yes, but I have limited refrigerator space so I don’t usually have more than a half bottle or so sitting there. If I’m making something like coq au vin I need multiple bottles.

The 2010 GR Crozes-H Papillon bottling is $20 and quite nice. I’d buy a bunch if it were $8.99.

RT

If you bump the price point up to $13.99, then my wine of the year makes it into the equation.
2010 Birrichino Malvasia Bianco (Monterey, CA)