Will you drink a bad wine because you can't stand the thought of pouring out something expensive?

pour it out . . .

Nope - no problem dumping. Doesn’t mean I have to LIKE dumping it, though! Depending the flaw, I also will let it sit for 24 hours or more. Most of my dumping seems to be premox though, and they never seem to come around!

Always wait until the next day to see what it’s doing

Is a flawed wine a bad wine? Think the variability of Pegau

This thread is not likely to bring out the folks who reluctantly drink wines they don’t like. Just because. I know a man with a palate that I respect, who has a huge cellar, but he will try and try and try to like that wine. Actually, I know more than one man who fits this description. Not me. I am a wine brat. My affection for wine came later in life, and coincided with my entry into the wine-producing world, so things have been a bit skewed. Admittedly. But in answer to the the question posed in the OP? Nope, not me.

I remember Ryan and I had to dump a '59 Latour a few months back. Thankfully, the other bottle was otherworldly.

flirtysmile

Give me a Labatt instead.

Why does everyone seem to acquire so much wine they don’t like? I’m guiltier than the next guy of taking flyers - at least they’re more often single bottle flyers these days - on new-to-me producers, and even then it’s pretty rare to open something outright unlikable.

When that does happen, it’s typically with a new world wine I find undrinkably over the top (most recently a 2004 Baldacci Brenda’s, ugh) which puts it right in the wheelhouse of a few neighbors in our building. So ideally it gets gifted, not dumped. And I didn’t end up with too much of that stuff before learning not to buy more of it.

If a bottle’s at least meh to meh plus I’ll probably drink it (more so on a weeknight) or at least freeze it for cooking. I’d feel both wasteful and goofily grandiose dumping bottles left and right for being not quite special enough.

Aha, I suppose one or two night a week drinkers are probably quicker with the trigger: opening a bottle is more of an occasion, not just part of dinner?

(Of course flawed bottles get dumped. I’ve probably slogged through some very mildly corked bottles in the past, but these days will abandon such bottles readily - and probably seek a refund/replacement.)

We eat a lot of Italian food and Carrie always needs some Red to go into the sauce. Wine we don’t care for is usually good enough for the sauce.

As for whites, they may get poured unless it’s an SB or other acidic white. They me be saved for a while to use on red wine spills.

This. But if it stays a frog, down the drain it goes.

Is that real or just an empty bottle re-filled for the picture. Scary sight!

Another Bedrock thread? [snort.gif] newhere [smileyvault-ban.gif]

I didn’t read in any posts where this is a common occurrence but it does happen. I probably dump 3 bottles a year that are flawed. The consumption varies from person to person but there are numerous people who drink over 300 bottles a year so flawed and plonk bottles are inevitable. I come across bottles that I don’t care for now and then but it isn’t very common but it does happen.

[cheers.gif]

This.

Says the man with the Crapula avatar. champagne.gif

It’s as real as the mustache in his avatar.

I once poured out a fifty dollar bottle of wine in front of my girlfriend. I said it was corked. She looked at me a bit worried. We opened another bottle. About a hundred bucks for it. Before she knew what was happening I was at the sink again.

She was perplexed when I grabbed the bottle of tequila and some shot glasses but I think she now understands.

What’s more shocking is that Fu was slumming it in that outdated kitchen. That almost makes my apartment look good.

[snort.gif]

“Life’s too short to drink bad wine.”

I glugged my way through a completely poxed bottle of 05 boillot pucelles over 2 nights last week. Talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face.