Will You Be Buying The 2010 Monprivato?

I don’t disagree, but the prices for the same wines in Milan are G. Rinaldi (for 2010 Brunate) €55, Cappellano (2009 Pie Franco) €60, & G. Mascarello €67,5 (2009 Monprivato) so not that different. (I just happen to have the current price list on hand from my go-to retailer). Note those are ex-VAT. Normally you pay VAT then get a refund at the airport - which nets to ~ a 5-6% “tax”. So similar to US sales tax.

I will be buying monprivato 2010.How many depends of the Price.If i can get for 115$ like 2008 i will buy 3 maybe 6.It is getting pricy, so god knows how long i will keep on buying.I havent tasted it,but have no concerns about vintage.Always lovely wine. [cheers.gif]

I’ll be buying, but now I’m thinking that I should plan a trip to Italy. Traditionalist wine buying with vacation on the side sounds nice.

Why no Ca in 2010 ? Speaking of, has anyone had the 06 Ca ?

I did in the spring, it was VERY, VERY young. I’m not sure what to make of it honestly.

Brian - very relevant to add the VAT-part. VAT in Italy is 20+% meaning that for all EU citizens (like me) buying directly in shops in Italy you will pay full VAT. Also, many producers do not do cellar-door sales any more (e.g. G. Conterno, G. Mascarello). Quite often I see US price quotes on this board that are very low compared to prices in some parts of Europe.

To clarify: My comment about adding the Ca’d’Morissio to the Monprivato was in regard to the 2009. I have no knowledge of the 2010’s.

Hmm. I’ve heard mixed reports.

Slightly OT, but speaking of 2010 Barolo, would you buy 2010 Bartolo Mascarello for $150?

Probably not. The 2008 is still out there at around $110, and it is a magnificent wine.

Woodland Hills had 2008 Bartolo Mascarello on sale a year ago at $88 - grabbed a few back then… champagne.gif

I bought half a case of those. 08 Bartolo is so epic.

Monprivato is arguably among the most consistent of all Old World wines. I don’t think buying the 2010 is taking a chance in any way. It’s going to be a matter of whether or not the price is justifiable for most.

As far as the '09, I have no idea what or who you’re talking about, but most other people seem to think it’s a nice wine, as one would expect.

Even with generally accepted excellent vintages, bottle variation is a legitimate issue.

Michael,

I’ve not tried the '09 Monprivato. In fact, I haven’t bought any '09s. I generally stay away from hot vintages. I did buy the '03 Monprivato, which I think was one of the wines of the vintage (though I don’t have a broad range in that vintage either – I bought CF and Monprivato).

Having said that, with 2010 being sold as a blockbuster vintage, I’d think Mascarello would’ve hit it on the sweet spot.

I love Mascarello. I’ve visited there, and it was one of my early loves in Italian wines. It’s been hard to see the prices skyrocket. I am not angry about it – they make great wines, the wines probably compare well to many $150 wines out there, there are probably buyers at those prices, and I don’t begrudge a business selling its products for the price people will willingly pay.

But I’m bummed that it’s going from being a core wine for me to a luxury to probably a non-purchase. It also makes me extra reluctant to open the bottles that I do have.

Bummer.

I have and have had the 03 Monprivato also, and think that it’s quite good. Whatever it is that might be going on with the 09, doesn’t seem to be directly related to it being a hot vintage. We both participated on a string on another board regarding the 2010 Monprivato where it was said by someone who should know, " the winery’s reputation is heavily riding on this wine." I would think that there is a serious reason for the weight of that opinion.

Why is there no Ca Morissio in 2010 ?

What have you heard?

If there isn’t a huge difference between the Monprivato and Ca d’Morissio, they won’t bottle it.

Thanks for the info Ian.

I’ve also heard some people say maybe the 06 isn’t all that.