Will the Yakima Valley AVA Ever Produce Wines that Rival Great Bordeaux Blends in Cali & France?

Spot on. Got my Washington AVA’s all turned around. Nonetheless, Washington excites me quite a bit when it comes to Bordeaux and Rhone varietals. In 20 or so years, people will be saying, "remember when you could get X Winery Cabernet for $80, now its $250. [cry.gif]

No worries! This is not exactly the easiest of areas to keep straight.

I don’t disagree with you there, but as I mentioned above I truly feel like some of the more drought resistant varietals farmed in a bit more inventive way will truly yield the best examples of Yakima Valley wine. That all said, some great examples of Bordeaux blends (and Syrahs) have been made there.

Generally no, but I have enjoyed some Betz and Andrew Will

Agreed. No

WA is desert, BDX is a swamp.

Hmmmm…I don’t know about that, the one thing people don’t realize is for the most part technology hasn’t been used in WA when planting vineyards, many are planted haphazardly and get repeated sunburn due to it. I think if you go to Zillah and head up to Elephant Mtn., they may have a shot at some world class Cab, and world class Cabernet already comes out of Red Mountain, Sheridan, and Red Willow vineyard.

EVER? Sure. I think some already compete with classified growth Bordeaux. In other words, with the same cost, I’d opt for a Bdx blend from the Yakima Valley in some instances over a Bordeaux. However, I think the best in Bordeaux currently outshine the best from the Yakima Valley. That said, I expect wine grapes will be grown there for a while yet and the quality will likely continue to improve. To me, the most Bordeaux-like wines in the AVA come from Red Willow Vineyard. I don’t necessarily think they’re the best.

Thanks all. I have more than a couple cases of Syrah blends from most of these vineyards that are world class and I plan to continue buying. I do like Betz so will give Heart of the Hill a try. I have had Dunham and Woodward Canyon Bordeaux blends out of Walla Walla that were great and didn’t realize it was so close to Yakima.

While I do not buy much BDX and now focus on Spanish and Italian varietals, Dubrul and Boushey vineyards get some good press for BDX and I will second the Red Willow vineyard for Italian. With my penchant for restrained PN, cool vintages work best for me. A fellow CTer is growing PN and Sangio up in Natches Heights along with Riesling and Syrah. Still in the early years of testing the waters. Sort of a hobby that got a bit out of hand, now building a winery. [wow.gif] [cheers.gif]

Try some Cadence wines. My favorite WA wines and ones that age very well. They are red blends of CS, CF, and Merlot.

Cheers,

Hal

I would really like to consider making a small amount of Ciel du Cheval Cab someday. I am very intrigued by the Red Mountain AVA. I had an Upchurch Cab a year ago from his own vineyard and thought it was tremendous for the price of admission.

I’d like to see you make a Horse Heaven Hills or Wahluke Slope Cabernet personally Roy, with my preference being Wahluke Slope.

I believe soil and weather will always be the final difference between the three, with wine making regimens bringing out the best of each. The Long Shadows project is a good example of wine makers controlling/manipulating a given source of grapes. AVA’s include Yakima Valley, Columbia Valley, Red Mountain and other subs.

Gilles Nicault, born and raised in France and current head winemaker for Long Shadows makes Chester-Kidder, a Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah blend.

Randy Dunn of Napa makes Feather Cabernet.

John Duval, former Penfolds’ Grange winemaker, makes Sequel Syrah

Michel Rolland from Pomerol, where he owns and manages a number of holdings and fine wine estates as well as consulting on wines all over the world, makes Pedestal Merlot.

Phillippe Melka, Hundred Acre, Seavy et al. makes Pirouette Bordeaux blend.

For me, this is without a doubt the most underrated AVA in WA state (especially for Cab Sauv, as well as for Mourvedre…)

Michael

1 Like

Sorry, not only will they, but they already have. Andrew Will and Cadence come to mind. The 1995 Andrew Will Cabernet ‘R’ was of particular note. Bottles I opened in 2011 were dead ringers for great vintages of Ch. Margaux. Famously, Lettie Teague served a 1995 Andrew Will Sorella in a 1982 Mouton bottle to friends Wine Scams: A Counterfeiter Confesses. I am not convinced WA wines will age quite as long nor develop the same complexity as Bordeaux can, but they can and do age 20-30 years, and the quality is excellent.

Randy, pretty sure Gilles makes them all, the celebrity team may taste, blend and consult, but Gilles and his team do all the day to day.

Point taken; however, if any current winemaker in WA can, I would put my money on folks like Ben & Gaye…

Michael

Yes on a microscale and a resounding NO on a macro. Has everything to do with which company controls the vast majority of the farmers/producers. Bulk production reigns king.

So exactly like Bordeaux, eh?

I don’t believe there’s a single company that controls ~70% of all the grapes grown for vinification in the Bordeaux region through its various subsidiaries. But if there is, and the bulk of those grapes are used to produce a lower tier price point product, than its eerily similar to Washington State.