Wife's Birthday 50th/1975

Well… is he really a berserker if he actually sticks to the budget?
We know it’s a fantasy :laughing:

1 Like

Also '75 here, so already preparing. I have Dom Perignon, Haut Brion, Mouton and dÝquem in the celler. Still looking for 1-2 more for a special dinner with around 8 people.

1 Like

I think the suggestions for Sauternes was to be “realistic” and the +$1000 bottles was to give context. There is a lot of crap in the wine market today, and even purchasing a bottle of 1975 anything without first examining it (or from a personally vetted source) is crazy. Do any of us think one can purchase a 1975 Bordeaux for $200 or less and have any sense of surety about it showing “well”? I don’t think I could even find a Champagne from that year at less than $300…here is where wine searcher comes in handy.

Honestly, it’s a great search and there is time and there could be promising results. I just think on the face of it one could not expect easy success with these requirements. The board provided what I value most…perspective.

As an aside, I sometimes find wines like these in France from sources that will ship…chateau.com or sodivin.com…among others. I have used each with great results.

@JeffH you might consider Ridge! Monte Bello is out of your price range but their Zinfandels / Petite Sirahs are long-lived as well. A few of us had a bottle of 1975 York Creek Zinfandel last night; it was delicious and very much alive. There’s even a listing for 1975 Lytton Springs Zinfandel on Wine-Searcher for $249 right now…

2 Likes

Or expects replies to be on point?

Excellent Cab-based Bordeaux I’ve had in the last couple years: Ducru, Montrose, La Lagune, Domaine de. Chevalier.

https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/giscours+margaux+medoc+bordeaux+france/1975?Xsort_order=p&Xsavecurrency=Y

This is a note to anyone in the Seattle area, or passing through Seattle.
I have far more 1975 Bordeaux wines than I will ever open, esp. Beychevelle. I’d like to get it into other hands, at minimal prices or for trade. The wine has been in a cool passive cellar, not controlled storage. I would not feel right sending it to auction. I’ll guarantee replacement, though, for any bad bottles.
Send a PM for a list.

3 Likes

I think my wife and I can make it, so I guess that about wraps up the headcount, thanks!

Actually, I think it’s very feasible.

Bordeaux in the 70s was definitely built to last and the '75 vintage had all the tannin, acidity and ripeness to develop well over a very extended period. There are quite a few choices available in the U.S. in that price range. Buy from a reputable retailer AND ask them to check condition (primarily ullage) and report back before money is spent.

I would say Cheval Blanc as 75 was a great year for that but certainly way above your under $200.