Why sous vide?

Nice chicken breast. I’ve made all the combos of purée, salad, and protein and they are all pretty good. Here’s my chicken thigh. Really can’t recommend it enough, especially if you like the Barbuto kale salad.
E07597A0-E3A3-449F-B61C-82DE248B3A16.jpeg
C2B5C34D-8DE5-471A-911F-C4F97E2D065B.jpeg

I still think that one of these days someone is going to say “Ha, ha, just kidding. I can’t believe you thought we were serious about eating kale. That stuff sucks.” And there will be a mass awakening at which point I’ll say “I told you so”.

Ha ha… I hate the stuff. Plenty of other greens that taste way better and are good for you too.

Wait! That was you who cleared all the kale from Fairway, before the oncoming snowstorm January snowstorm.

https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147410&p=2420413&hilit=kale#p2420413

Try the recipe and realize how wrong you are! flirtysmile

Convenience, for me.

With a multi-course meal, I can sous vide an important dish and have it be available in a not-that-time-critical fashion when I have everything else ready to go.

Sous vide is over-rated. I have the big Anova. Carrots, yes, much better that way. Broccoli and brussel sprouts, not bad, maybe a bit more flavorful, but not worth the trouble. Short ribs? If you like lots and lots and lots of fat on your short ribs, it’s fine, but it just doesn’t render out enough of the fat. I thought that after about two and a half days, they were OK. My wife, who does not like fatty meat, thought they were awful.

I use it once a month, and I can see using it for specialty items for dinner parties, but as a regular cooking device, it’s not worth the trouble.

By the way - on kale. It works very well as an additive to Matzoh Ball Soup if you cook it until really dead.

I’ll admit it’s also good in a potato and kale soup. So long as it’s cooked down until it’s unrecognizable it’s not terrible.

I’m going to try it on a Flannery Calif strip tomorrow. Sous vide and then sear on a Weber kettle. We like our steaks pretty rare.
Anyone want to suggest a temp and time on the sous vide?

129F.

How thick?

It’s the 12 oz so about 1 1/2"

So over rated that a huge number of professional kitchens employ them. Come on, Jay. Your legal mind may be too structured because the implementation is only limited by the imagination. It is patently absurd to suggest that the most practical method to cook eggs to any incarnation you please while still in the shell is over rated. That is one single application and there are hundreds! Please keep in mind that you often have to step outside the box and cook with ingredients, rather than some stale recipe, to realize how technique can be beneficial.

Let me put it this way. Classical french technique employs a limited number of modalities numbering in the tens. Yet those have spawned preparations in the thousands. Now add a modality that is not only subject to the same framework but is also inherently adjustable beyond a simple doneness protocol to include previous and subsequent technique with nearly infinite calibration. Culinary aversions aside, food science and the simple math of the matter prove that iterations in that employ become exponential.

Which brings me back to something I originally stated. If you aren’t already cooking at a high level, reconsider. If you don’t know why you are using it aside from something telling you to, then you will never understand why you need it.

Scott, according to the smartphone app for my Joule (assuming steak is thawed, not frozen), which I follow, the following times/temps are recommended. Note, even if you don’t have a Joule, you can use this app. It a large number of recipes, and useful “visual doneness” photos so you can see what different temps look like for steak, chicken, fish, etc.

Very rare: 122°F
Rare: 126°F
Medium-rare: 129°F
Medium: 133°F
Medium-well: 140°F
Well-done: 147°F
Dead: 154°F

1/2 inch: 30 min
3/4 inch: 45 min
1 inch: 1 hr
1 1/2 inch: 1 1/2 hr
2 inch: 2 hr

If it is frozen, increase times by 50%.

For a medium-rare steak, I like 129°F (sort of high rare or low medium-rare, depending on who you talk to), which give me a little margin when searing after the SV without over-cooking it.

Enjoy!

[Note, these times/temps will not reach pasteurization.

To quote Baldwin below, “For extended shelf-life (i.e., cook-chill or cook-freeze) or when serving immune compromised individuals, the beef must be pasteurized for at least the times in Table 5.1.”

For example for a 1 1/2 inch steak, pasteurization is reached at 3 hours at 133°F. Generally you need to reach 131°F to kill most common bugs. However, for cook times <4 hr there is little time for bacteria to grow and multiply, which greatly reduces the danger. Sometime people will be more concerned with pasteurization for hamburger meat, which has a greater risk of bacterial contamination during production (or blade tenderized steak, like you get from Costco, which can introduce bacteria into the center of the steak where searing can’t kill it).

Actually, this is another answer to the “why sous vide?” question. There is no way pasteurize meat on a grill without over-cooking it. Whether you feel the need to pasteurize something is up to you, but sous vide allows you to do so without over-cooking.]

Finally received my Anova, and reviewed this thread. Working on soft-boiled eggs, but not the Anova recipe, this one - Sous Vide Soft-Poached Eggs | The Splendid Table - as it is sort of like Cooks’ Illustrated, in performing tests to find the perfect recipe, etc.

After setting everything up, waiting 45 minutes for the water to warm up, and going through the 12 minute wait and the ice bath, I ended up with two giant globs of snot.

Not exactly sold on sous vide quite yet…

Todd, were you able to link Yo͏u͏r Anova to your WiFi network? If so, was it easy or did it give you trouble?

Sous vide eggs are harder than they seem! There’s probably more online discussion on this topic than any other single topic (although egg bites seems to have taken over recently lol), and a plethora of times/temps to choose from.

There inevitably will be some “snot”, but that is why you crack it into a slotted spoon to drain. Also, the fresher the eggs, the better for this application. And AA grade is better too (if you find them).

Mine’s the new Nano, Bluetooth not wifi

A bit of “snot” is worth it for the texture you can derive from the yolk in particular.

One of the best reasons to get a Joule, as opposed to an Anova or other brands (if you don’t mind the mandatory smartphone interface) is that it heats up so fast (1100 watts).

Of course, one can cheat a little and use a gas burner to get the water going a bit and then switch to the Anova, or Joule.

Todd, I’ve had great success with eggs at 62.5 C for 60 minutes. Eggs that have rested outside of the fridge, btw. I much prefer the texture at that setting to any warmer/faster cooking direction.