Why sous vide?

Deleted.

I’d be interested in temp and timing or do you separate yolk from white for the cooking?

Deleted.

Must be 75C.

-Al

1 Like

Deleted.

I have used the information on this site to guide my approach to eggs:

this guide will give you exactly the type of sous vide egg you are looking for
Chef Steps Sous Vide Egg Timer

1 Like

My answer to the OP was - I have no idea except for carrots, which are better. BUT today I decided to experiment with two racks of St. Louis cut ribs. Why? Because. I had bought them about a month ago, decided not to use them, sealed them in a vacuum sealer bag, put them in the freezer, took them out today to cook over the weekend, and decided that the seal was so good that it was worth a try. I thawed the bag and then started the sous vide at about 180 for an hour to get it warmed up and then dropped the temp to 160 for 7 hours. Removed from the bag, drained, wrapped in parchment paper, and refrigerated. Tomorrow I will smoke one rack and just grill the other. I will report back. I will go on record that I think (guess!) that the rack that is not smoked but just grilled, as in a reverse sear sous vide steak, will be better.

For the sous vide ribs referenced above. With photos for the incompetents in the group. :slight_smile:

I just used a big pot,

got the water almost to temp on the stove, tossed in the bag, which dropped the tamp a bit. tossed in my 50 year old Sabatier honing steel to hold it down

immersed the large Anova, and wrapped the pot in a large towel to reduce heat loss. Seemed to work fine, but I think some high temp bubble wrap would be better. I used two giant metal clips to hold the towel to the pot:

2 Likes

Assuming the seal on your freezer bag is fine, there is no reason you have to thaw the ribs (or anything else) before putting in the sous vide. Just add a little time to your cooking plan.

1 Like

Yes, but from the point of view of efficient energy use, I decided to thaw passively and run the Anova for less time. It also allowed me to check the seal before immersion, since sometimes my seals could be better. My vacuum sealer is probably over 20 years old and I have been known to have “issues.”

I see that ChefSteps has updated their shrimp.
150f/66c for 20 minutes.
(Jumbo Shrimp)

Anyone tried it. Local shrimp are amzing this year in Chas so far.

I have been using 158 for around 10 min, 150 for 20 probably isn’t much different. We have had some amazing shrimp in my area also. Make sure to get them in an ice bath when they come out of the circulator, sets a great texture on them.

1 Like

Whole shrimp or shelled and cleaned first?

I just cooked U-12 in my APO at 212 F with 100% steam for 6 minutes. Ice bath for sure. These were cleaned but not shelled.

I did shelled and cleaned. One great use for a circulator is for frozen shrimp. I’ve started putting a pound of unpeeled frozen shrimp in a bag with some olive oil, bay leaves, salt, pepper and cooking from frozen. The shrimp don’t take much longer to cook and you get a really great shrimp stock. Way faster than waiting for them to thaw.

1 Like

The ChefSteps recipe using peeled shrimp in the bag in one layer, then adds the shells on top of the shrimp. I like the idea.
I’ll try it on Friday and report.

1 Like