Why don't more wineries use PayPal or other payment systems?

Huh?

It’s just another payment processor. You can use credit cards on PayPal too. And for the longest time it was the best way to send money peer to peer for free.

I used to use PayPal for various online payments until my account got hacked, not once but twice. The second time was after I completely changed my account login and password, following PayPal’s recommendations. After that second time I closed my account and have never considered going back. FWIW, none of my other online accounts of any kind have ever been hacked to my knowledge. While PayPal may work for some people, from my experience I have no faith in their ability to maintain account security.

Yeah, that’s why I have never signed up for PayPal and do not intend to. Well, that and the fact that I can just ignore all those phishing emails about my PayPal account being hacked.

Somewhat more recently, PayPal can used as a processor to clear CC charges.I’m not entirely happy with that, but hope that the account info is not retained by them.

As far as Mark’s question, Apple Pay has NFC variant for in person purchases, but also ability to use for online purchases (and does not send your actual CC number to the retailer).

-Al

Free is such an overused word.,it was free for friend to friend transfers under limited circumstances to get you to use it for commercial transfers that just added another cost layer. For commercial transactions, it was never free and very costly. You could lie and tell them that it was not a commercial transaction and get it for free if you ignored the fact that you were committing criminal wire fraud and being a cheat.

+1

Same thing seemed to happen to me too.

This statement really emphasizes the amount of blind privilege here.

Off the cuff guesstimate - CC holdership of online wine purchasers >> CC holdership of population at large.

I experimented with Paypal as a card processor a few years ago.

They were a bit funny about cards for alcohol (I literally had to fill out a form half a ream of paper long), and they also didn’t pay the money into our account for 30 days.

Plenty of options these days to get an easy credit card processing account for 1.2% of the value of the order (or less in some places).

The US does seem very different to the UK - online banking is huge here - cheques are virtually dead and I can send money all over the world from my banking app on my phone (which is linked to my iPhone’s facial recognition for security). If someone does give me a cheque though I can pay it into my account by taking a pic of the front & back of the cheque using my banking app.

It’s not an overused word cause it was free. No restrictions to send money among friends. For the longest time it was really the only way to do so. I’ve been using PayPal for the last 15 years sending money and receiving money from friends that owe me or I owe them for whatever reason. Shared rent money owed, trip reimbursements for shared costs, dinners etc. Our banks, Venmo and square also give us the opportunity now too. My preference for PayPal is that they allow the largest transaction amount per transaction among the peer 2 peer websites.

Who wants checks when people owe them money?

But to compare PayPal to bitcoin is not an accurate analogy.

Stick to Worker’s Comp and other things you understand.

You have no clue what you’re talking about. Stone Age user trying to understand technology and outside application that the current generation uses it for. Might as well be hitting a rock against a computer screen.

Just to throw another consideration out there. Not all payment processors will work with wineries because of the regulations involved (there is more risk involved than they would like to get involved with). When we were looking to add an online cart to our website, many of the “normal” website payment processors wouldn’t work with us. It is VERY easy to set up a website and cart to sell widgets online, not so easy to set it up to sell a regulated product like alcohol.

The US does seem very different to the UK - online banking is huge here - cheques are virtually dead and I can send money all over the world from my banking app on my phone (which is linked to my iPhone’s facial recognition for security). If someone does give me a cheque though I can pay it into my account by taking a pic of the front & back of the cheque using my banking app.

We can do those things in the US, too, although it may be fewer people use the capabilities.

-Al

Whoa … really not getting what you are so heated about. Glad you have built a system you like and that works for you.

Clearly some vineyards have built their own custom systems, some others don’t need much beyond a spreadsheet and a PayPal account, others are apparently interested in commercial SaaS systems that can integrate more sophisticated inventory control tools with other features as well as payment systems. Whatever works for the given business situation is great.

Does PayPal give you 2% to the consumer when purchasing? I have Sam’s Club card that gives me 5% on different purchases. As the consumer do I have to pay a fee to use it? IF so sounds like a flawed system.

If your credit card is tied to the PayPal account, don’t you still get the credit card benefits?

John Glas wrote: ↑
Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:46 pm
Does PayPal give you 2% to the consumer when purchasing? I have Sam’s Club card that gives me 5% on different purchases. As the consumer do I have to pay a fee to use it? IF so sounds like a flawed system.
If your credit card is tied to the PayPal account, don’t you still get the credit card benefits?

Wouldn’t know I don’t use PayPal.

Since I have been invited to speak at four seminars on the subject, including one sponsored by the payment industry and another sponsored by a coding consortium, as well as two sponsored by banks, it is the wrong side of this equation that doesn’t know shit from shinola. You lack sufficient knowledge and understanding of payment systems, the use and time value of money, back room operational expense and so many other things that a debate here is a waste of my effort. But I will give you just a little taste of one of the costs. Start with this quote from Paypal:

“8. When the funds are confirmed from the credit card company, they’re deposited into your PayPal account – minus applicable fees (2.9% + $0.30 per transaction).”

Who do you think pays that fee, which on a $100 charge is 3.2% but on a $20 charge is 4.4%? The merchant pays it AND PASSES IT ALONG TO CUSTOMERS. The fee is part of the merchant’s cost structure which determines what the merchant should charge for the goods sold. On the flip side, there is the cost to the payor of using Paypal. AND that doesn’t include Paypal’s float.

As to float, by the way, another quote from the Paypal website:

“9. Once the money reaches your PayPal account, which usually happens within minutes of making the sale, you can leave it in your account for use in paying business expenses or withdraw it to your bank account (which usually takes 2-3 days).”

That’s only free if you do not understand the importance of liquidity and the time value of money.

Yes. As stated before, it’s a payment processor. Every payment processors charge varying fees for the use of a credit card.

Thank you for letting me know what I already know.

I said it’s free for peer to peer payments. Not for business.