Why doesn’t Liebfraumilch impress me...ever?

Thank you for this thread.

My now non-wine-drinking husband used to drink this daily, along with chopped liver (how’s that for a pairing). He loves to tell me about those Liebfraumilch days…as as to tease me that I met him too late. I tell him it is a good thing that I did not meet him in those days because I wouldn’t touch the stuff with a barge pole…

My memories from my Mateus days are also a little fuzzy.

Sick burn, bro! I’m flattered.

Shouldnt this thread be moved to 101?

Nuh uh. Lancers

Too expensive!!!

Haven’t you guys upgraded to Bully Hill yet?

When my better half and I drove up the Mosel,
I made a point of stopping to take a picture of the Schwartz Katz. Even for someone who jokingly refers to himself as the “Old Sincerity,” irony is not dead.

Growing up in the Heartland, Blue Nun, Zeller Schwartz Katz and Liebfraumilch are what were available to drink
at family holidays with the ham and turkey. Call it a gateway drug! I upgraded to Piesporter in college.

Liebfraumilch is the Two Buck Chuck of Riesling. Assuming it’s 100% Riesling.
Keller and a few others aside, the Rheinhessen was an ocean of mediocrity for decades.
Wikipedia states that Liebfraumilch can also be from the Nahe, Rheingau or Pfalz: I wasn’t aware of that.

I upgraded from Taylor’s to Taylor’s California Cellars. pileon

From. The problem with that was they made the “bottle” non see-through so you never knew what was in it. Hearty Burgundy was a better buy.

Can’t beat that Heaty Burgundy!

It can include Riesling, but is mostly Silvaner and Müller-Thurgau, maybe some Kerner. Even two buck Chuck is more like five buck these days, but basically the same price category.

I heard about Liebfraumilch in a War/Eric Burdon song, the Beat Club version of “Spill the Wine”.

I was wondering if there are any of them that are well regarded on here, or if it is a wine that people have largely moved on from.

Ah, Matues and Lancer. Bought both in my misspent youth to “impress” young women. My first experience with wine was from a childhood friend at his bar mitzva. Wretched stuff. My mom was mostly a teetotaler, but would occasionally have a glass of Manischewitz Concord Grape. We weren’t Jewish, but a lot of our neighbors were, and mom liked sweet wine. At 92, she still does, but now at least it’s super market white Zin. My next experience was at a concert on Boston Common When I was probably 17 or so. There was a van parked nearby, and a number of very cute college girls were giving away bottles of Boones Farm Wine. My memory is a bit hazy, but I think it was a variant called “Strawberry Hills.” The horror, giving alcohol to underage rock and roll fans! Later, my then girlfriend, and now wife of 40+ years, liked Blue Nun, and a NY state Lake County white wine she called “Grape Shit.” I think it’s still sold, but not under that name.
In 1978 we moved to Bakersfield CA. There was a winery about two miles from our house call Giuamarra. They made pretty good jug wines for US consumption, and really great wine for export. One of the kids even made a solared sherry for a time. Back then, California wine was only just starting to recover from prohibition. Sadly, from what I can tell on line, they no longer exist.
We would try to stop at wineries when visiting my Great Uncle in San Francisco. There were not that many options, but I remember some nice stops in Paso, and other places in the central coast. Seems like now, you can’t go far without hitting a few. And I still don’t like Liebfraumilch, or any German wines for that matter.

by Russell Faulkner » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:53 pm

Well, the Liebfrauenstift version is very good!

I always wondered what made the Hearty Burgundy both hearty and burgundy.