Why do guys with 1000s of btls in thier cellar....

I was looking at some cellars on CT to see how these larger cellars were divided up by region. I clicked on “sort by region” and noticed more than a few guys will 1500 plus btls in thier cellars had glaring gaps in what I think of as essentials like; Champagne, Burgundy and Piedmont. Sorry, hate to be judgemental but, if I could afford a cellar with 2000, 3000 or 10,000 blts I’d make sure I had at least minimum of 100 blts ea of Champagne, Burgundy, BDX, Barbaresco, and Barolo. I can see skipping Australia :slight_smile:.

why would you want all that bordeaux?

Maybe what you think of as essentials aren’t things that others think of as essentials?

Believe it or not some people only buy what they like :slight_smile:

Well said.

I think in some cases this is symptomatic of people with a lot of cash to burn deciding to “get into wine”.

I am guilty of 1500+ and very little champagne. To give you my reasoning, I was at a trade tasting last night and they had a $10 Prosecco and a $250 champagne, they both were nice, but I honestly couldn’t tell them apart. I think I blew my taste buds out drinking Australians!
I have had 02 DP that I really liked but also a Roederer Estate ($15) that I thought was just as good. To each their own.

I stock a small% of certain wines I like less than others but fill a cellar niche. I do this for the sake of my guests, extra variety for me from time to time, aging experiments, gifting, and food pairings. Champagne, in particular, seems like a peculiar thing to have 0 bottles of.

Craig’s 100 bottle suggestion is over the top, however. Expecting people to build up a pipeline of expensive wines that require bottle age just because they can afford to do so sounds like a collecting for the sake of collecting mindset has taken hold.

I have 1,300+ bottles including 84 bottles of Burgundy and 130 bottles of Barolo/Barbaresco, but less than ten bottles of Champagne. At the rate I am drinking and restocking my Champagne, it will easily last the rest of my life.

What about dessert wine and Vintage Port?

Can you be a serious collector and have nothing from Bandol? Loire? Germany? Tuscany? Southern Italy? Northern or Southern Rhone? Chinon?

Alas, Cellars are not sponsored by United Nations to have representation from all countries. Their contents are the expression of a idiosyncratic thought process. Understanding or rationalising them is fruitless. On reflection, even the owners wonder why they had bothered to have that particular cellar configuration 10 years ago!!

I’m definitely guilty of seeing this only from my own perspective and don’t mean to offend. While I own a few hundred Burgs I love having a lot of variety in my cellar so I can explore different pairings at a wim. As much as I adore Burgundy (both white & red) and Barolo /Barbaresco I think it makes dinner a lot more fun to not just drink wines from my 1,2 or 3 favorite regions all the time. I like to grab a Montevertine from Chianti or Mt Eden PN from CA or a Beaucastel from CDP from time to time to keep things interesting. Speaking only for me, if I could afford thousands of btls and had the place to store them I’d have to have great cellar diversity. I do agree finding value in Champagne(sparkers) can be a minefield but I’ve done the research and found about 10 producers I really like at a variety of price points from $8 to a max of $150. Couldn’t do without Champagne :slight_smile:.

True for me… But what I like has changed. I have quite a few bottles I would like to part with so I could have less diversity in my cellar. I want boatloads of Burgundy and German Riesling, a good plenty from Champage, Austria, and Loire, and a few Cali Pinots, Bordeaux, and Barolo.

I have occassionally wondered that too until I’ve had a recent La Mission HB or one of the Leovilles with 15yrs or more on it.

I think that for the reason you skip Australia others might skip (you name it). I am not sure what is the point in collecting wines that do not make your palate happy ? :slight_smile:

Great point if you’ve actually tasted through a bunch of regions and decided against cellaring one or several regions.

Simple answer: a massive cellar is not about logic.

You could make a similar argument concerning ageworthy vs. drink young wines. Why would someone only want to have aged wines? At the very least fresh and primary wines without massive structure provide diversity.

From this I conclude massive cellars are about overpurchasing relative to a realistic rate of consumption.

Great point if you’ve actually tasted through a bunch of regions and decided against cellaring one or several regions.

How else would you decide what to buy? Why on earth would you buy a lot of wine from any region, particularly to cellar, w/out knowing the wine pretty well? That is absolutely symptomatic of people with a lot of money “getting into wine” as Theodore suggests.

I have probably between 2-3000 bottles and zero bottles of Champagne. Probably four bottles of red Burgundy and a half dozen Pinot Noirs from elsewhere. We pretty much never drink sparkling wine. I don’t even dislike it all that much - it’s just that I’m rarely in the mood for it. And I have very little interest in Burgundy. Neither is essential.

And regarding Theodore’s point - I’d think the opposite. I’d think someone with no knowledge would hire someone or would do some reading and would be told about a “balanced” cellar or some other such BS.

The people I know who’ve been drinking wine for a long time, particularly those in the business, have cellars of wines that they like. If you like Vega Sicilia, why should you buy Montrachet instead? In over 25 years I’ve tried wine from a few places, tasting a few thousand a year. I know I’ll drink my Rioja. We returned a bottle of Champagne to my in-laws because I knew they’d actually drink it and we wouldn’t.

+1

Greg D…there is another alternative. I barely make the cut since I have just over 1500 bottles. I realize that I will never be able to drink it all, since I am the only drinker in the house. The thing is I like to read about, chase, and buy wine almost as much as I like drinking it.
As for what specifically I buy, whatever I like. I have a few bottles of Champagne, Burgundy, Bordeaux for offlines etc, but 80% of my cellar is divided between CDP, Cali syrah, Cali pinot, Yquem, german rieslings and Cali cabs. I probably have 10 bottles total of Italian wine and 8 of them are Dal forno amarone or valpo classico. No white French wines save for a mag of Chave white, maybe 15 bottles of Chard of any kind, no Bandol, no pink sparklers, no roses of any kind in fact. Balanced? It is to me, I always can drink what I want and always want what I drink.

Let me add another perspective on why some people might not cellar much Champagne, even in a large cellar. In most major metro areas, you can find really good Champagne/sparkling wine on retailer’s shelves. Granted, it’s likely to be current release, but I dare say the vast majority of Champagne consumed is current release. So, if you can easily buy really good Champagne/sparkling wine from your retailer when you need it, why devote a lot of your cellar space to it?

Bruce