Why do cooling units fail during heat waves?

PSA—If your cooling unit is running all the time and/or not maintaining temperature, then you should check and clean the condenser. My unit was running at 62-64 degrees (set for 55 degrees) and running all the time. I cleaned the condenser (easy DIY—vac and spray of foam coil cleaner); no need for a service call) and it’s running like a top at 55 degrees. I am now committed to cleaning the condenser on a routine basis.

What method do you use to clean condenser? Does anyone use compressed air

I do. Works like a charm.

I think a lot of wine lovers fail to understand what these type of cooling units are designed for which is to maintain a constant temperature and humidity and not to cool a huge amount above the ambient temperature or to deal with a cellar or enclosure that does not have a vapor barrier. If these conditions are not met the units will fail in short order.

Just bought a used eurocave and am intent on cleaning out the compressor. Any links to useful youtube videos / wb posts would be appreciated.

Somewhat off topic, yet related. I’m currently doing a 48 hour test on wine temperature in transit environment. Yesterday at 730am I put a mix of 12 wines and H20 refilled bottles that had reached 57 degrees sitting outside overnight into a standard styro shipper, inserted two ice packs, and placed a digital meat thermometer through the neck of one of the bottles. Sealed everything up and placed in the back of my station wagon and drove to the office where it sat in the sun all day. I positioned the readout along side a mercury thermometer so I could track both temperatures throughout the day. The wine initially dropped to 55 and didn’t get back to 57 until 1 pm when the interior read 114. At 5pm, the wine had crept up to 64 while the car had gone offscale at around 130+. 19 hours later, the wine is only 66 while the car is back to 106, the same temp as yesterday at this time. I have been getting a lot of deliveries from Santa Barbara wineries and accumulating boxes of ice packs. I just am cycling them thorough boxes until I get to the wines.

I was going to make a smart ass comment when you first posted this, but thought better of it. I got a lot wine and Karma can be very painful. Little did I know Karma knows what you are thinking. The five ton unit that cools the open portion of the store decided to take the day off. The two ton backup A/C did the best it could but the temp slipped up a couple degrees, just enough to fire up the WWOTW. It’s not that hot here today but supposed to be mid nineties this weekend. If I can’t get it fixed tomorrow on short notice, I’ll have to give Carrie the weekend off.

Well, to answer the original question, most units that fail during a heat wave were in the process of failing before the heat wave. They may need cleaning or other maintenance, or they might be low on refrigerant, but were able to function OK even if running at, let’s say, 80-90 percent efficiency. When high demand occurs, requiring 95-100% efficiency, they can’t do the job. Keep an eye out for changes before the heatwave ever happens, and clean your coils and filters regularly.

So, how often?

Depending on location, yearly is probably overkill.

I vacuum the back of my cooling units where dust tends to accumulate on the “fins.” How does one clean the coils on a sealed unit like a CellarPro or Breezaire?

Compressed/canned air

• Edit: missed “sealed”

Drill out the rivets, remove cover, clean, reinstall with small sheet metal screws.

I think one should look the coils every six months; it’s easy to do. Also one should do this with refrigerators, air conditioners and the like. My two cents.

Thanks Brian. I had a feeling the answer would be something like that.

David,
CellarPro units are NOT “sealed”. Our systems use use screws, not rivets, to close the case.

That said, you should not have to remove the case in order to clean the coils. The coils and the “fins” are one and the same. As you mentioned, they are located at the rear of the cooling unit, where they are completely exposed, and ideally they should be cleaned by vacuuming with a brush attachment - that way, you pull the dirt OUT, rather than forcing it IN, to the system. For this reason, compressed air is not a good solution.

Most CellarPro units also are compatible with filters - so if you prefer, you can use a filter and then you won’t need to clean the coils. Just MAKE SURE you use OUR filters, which have airlflow ratings that match the fans on our units. DO NOT use off the shelf filters, they are too restrictive and you will burn out your cooling unit (not covered by warranty.)

Let us know if you need additional assistance.

Brian, give us a call and we’ll give you a $100 coupon code that you can use on www.iwawine.com. Sorry that you spent the money for overnite, when ground would have gotten it there at the same time - for us, it’s a struggle what to do, and ultimately we’ve decided to just follow the customer’s instructions. FWIW our address and contact information is listed in the footer of every page on our site.

I know it’s there now. Saw it a few weeks ago. Not on the day I was shopping though. I looked hard before I decided on the shipping. Don’t worry about the coupon, thanks for the offer though. Water under the bridge now.

Thanks Ben. Sounds like I’ve been doing it right all along.