Why are you into wine ?

Alan! You hooked one!

I’ve seen people fishing from the top of bridges, but Alan just did it from below one!

[rofl.gif]

Grew up with it. It’s something I drink with meals.

I’m into wine mainly due to my interest in food. Wine is a natural complement.

Why? I don’t actually know. It just happened. I didn’t like wine. I didn’t know anything about it. Then I started dating a woman who knew a bunch about it and worked in the industry a bit.

So I was around wine more but I still didn’t know anything about it, or even try to know anything about t, or even try to like it a bit more, even though she was into it. And then one day it happened. I fell down the rabbit hole. That was 2012, and since then I have been totally obsessed.

Obsessed with a desire to learn and to understand. With a desire to continue expanding my horizons. Why? I’ve never really stopped to think about why. I don’t question it. I don’t need to question it. It just is.

To meet girls…

Wine is one of those hobbies you can spend infinite time and money on and just scratch the surface. You are always learning.

A good reason for drinking alcohol has to be the backbone of every single wine drinker / enthusiasts motivation. Has to be.

u-g-F5D9UB0.jpg

I love that! I think of John Ammons whenever I see that!

I got into wine because, suddenly, I wasn’t Day Drinking any more, I was Wine Tasting!!!

That, and I want to be like Mike…Mike Pobega!

I got into wine because my wife told me that the crap I was serving our friends was crap and she said our friends could tell the difference. So I started reading up on wine and subscribing to that guy that nobody seems to like anymore. Soon, I was hooked and my basement started filling up. Now, my tastes are relatively narrow (mainly Zin) and I have about 600 bottles and my wife is having second thoughts and did I mention that I really like Zin?
By the way, I am in Italy right now and I am thinking of changing my careeer path to Primitivo . . . .

I get a lot of attention and people are nice to me. My wife complains about how much wine I have, so I just buy for her now. Well I do toss in a few for me on occasion. I love talking about wine and Know a few ITB. My daughter always appreciates that I can spare a few good bottles. [cheers.gif]

Cool path!

All of our friends are wine geeks and know when we are serving crappy wines.

I have been in the biz since '66. Wanting a job to help pay for college I started Thanksgiving break my freshman year at a one of the largest wine and liquor stores in New York.
I had been sipping French and German wines for 6 six years prior whenever my father allowed. Living in Germany as a high school exchange student gave me a European perspective. As a result, wine was considered part of a meal and I never got into the silliness of high school amateur over consumption.

I was super fortunate to have been in the right place at exactly the right time in 1982 to have the opportunity to learn about the rarest and finest French wines by drinking them as OJT at a new shop which grew to be one of the best in the US with a multi million dollar inventory of the best of the best. A dream job developed telemarketing the best of Burgundy, Bordeaux from the best vintages from the 1920’s and up after having consumed enough of them to be confident to represent them to an global elite clientele familiar with them, or not.

The diverse aromas, textures and complexities of wine are still a fascination and like any other complex subject, the more you learn, the less you realize you know.
My mission is not over, but I am still unable to beat the experience a mature, fine vintage Grand Cru Burg can provide.

Some combination of all of the above. I realize it’s the alcohol that I genuinely enjoy drinking the most, I think it’s the most interesting to pair with food, and a huge reason is because of the popularity of wine in the NBA… LeBron and Popovich are big wine people and that kind of pushed me into it.

Mainly because when I get lost in the smell of a wine it is like stepping outside of time

But also because there’s no better way to pass the time than dinner with friends and a few good bottles