Why a 2 bottle limit on corkage?

We’re bring 9 bottles to a restaurant tonight for a table of 5. Just got off the phone with the GM and he has no issues with however many bottles we want to bring. Obviously corkage will be charged accordingly.

Agree 100% Often times restaurants change or eliminate corkage policies because diners don’t include the “cost” of the bottle they bring on their gratuity. Ultimately its the restaurants right to have or not have a policy just as it is the diners right to visit or not visit the restaurant. I can see both sides which makes this discussion all the more entertaining…

I don’t like the argument that people need to tip based on the cost of the bottle they’re opening. Or even on the corkage. I’m a fervent hater of tipping as a general practice, though, so this comes with a large grain of salt. I’d rather restaurants charge the proper price on their food to pay their employees properly. (Obviously the discussion of the benefits and downsides of tipping is a rather different thread, maybe in the politics forum.)

3 Likes

I agree with that; if it’s not supplied from the restaurant what different does it make what it costs? I also feel that way regarding purchased bottles but that’s a different discussion altogether.

2 Likes

ooooh! if we can turn this into a tipping thread, I bet we hit 700 posts easy!

1 Like

Having been at many a wine dinner at restaurants (some supported by the restaurant, most were the dinners doing) I can see where the restaurant is coming from as the dinners with lots of wine tend to take up tables for far longer than a normal table (especially those tables that don’t drink at all). Thus the restaurant makes fewer turns than they normally would (assuming a reasonably busy night. Now if you go on a less busy night you “might” be able to work something out, but the “we will bring our own glassware and pour ourself” when the staff isn’t involved and working and making tips as they would if the tables were being flipped. Btw, the $125 for corkage is pretty high but not unheard of. It is likely at a pretty high end restaurant. So if you want to eat at their food you have to play by their rules. We’ve also found that if you are a regular customer and buy bottles off the list you can get them to bend the rules. If you are always coming in a bringing wine and never buy off the list the likelyhood of them bending the rules goes way down (though I’d expect a place with $125 corkage to have a pretty extensive wine list with some older bottles which it sounds like this place may not have had, perhaps time to find a different restaurant)

We were nice, shared our wines which made the somm’s week and they comped 3 of the 9 corkage fees. More than reasonable and we tipped the difference.

I that there are two keys to being wanted by a restaurant. One, be a regular customer (a regular good customer) and don’t be a pain in the rear end. And, two, TIP WELL.

We go to the same restaurant every month for our tastings so we can be a positive income source for the restaurant. And, we tip pretty well. The owner of the restaurant told us early on when we started going there that if we take care of his staff, he will take care of us.

3 Likes

Maybe Mark wants to be Groucho Marx.