Who's the go to California Reviewer ?

I like what Doug Wilder is doing with PDWR.

I actually find Antonio Galloni and Vinous my go-to for California. I have grown to trust his palate, and think I “understand” his reviews. A huge plus since I’m buying direct from 25-30 different wineries is the fact that he reviews early enough for me to read for general trends…even though I’ve bought from most of these guys long enough to trust my palate and history. And the fact that he initially handed out a score of 80 points for 2013 Caymus Cabernet is icing on the cake.

I don’t understand.

I actually really like Jeb’s tasting notes. To me, they’re the most helpful tasting notes among Cali reviewers in terms of aromas and flavors I actually perceive. LPB in particular makes up just absolute nonsense like unrolled Cuban cigars or pre-bloom violets … things that I can’t possibly conjure up the olfactory memory of (and I doubt she can either).

I trust Galloni’s relative scores a bit more.

1 Like

Black Forest cake! You left out Black Forest cake! And when that got old, chocolate and kirsch.

[pillow-fight.gif] Me too.

And Jay can give as good as he gets.

Burgundy prices must really have hit chicago hard

1 Like

From my perspective, what I like about Antonio Galloni is that he seems to very good at describing and rating wines across a realm of styles that you can basically tailor to your particular tastes. I don’t really care if he gives out a 97+ rating to a Realm and Corison wine b/c I don’t read it as picking one vs. the other based on ratings. I think for each of their respective styles, that high of a rating indicates it was clearly well made. FWIW, also stating the obvious but the breadth of his coverage is incredible including many less followed old-school and new-school wineries.

1 Like

Probably Blake Brown and Frank Murray.

2 Likes

lol

More fun that way. This is only wine guys.

Isn’t Burgundy dead at retail at Binny’s?

lol.

Good one. Honestly Charlie I’m pulling way back. 19 will be my last big pop. I am buying Bordeaux and domestic again.

San Francisco Chronicle

1 Like

I agree with Galloni. He’s my go to for Cali wines.

Hands down, Theo Von every time.

1 Like

I trust both Galloni and Jeb.

I have not seen anyone trusting Wilfred Wong… what happened to him?