Wholesaler cooks wine and I own it!

Can you share your recipe in the Food forum? Been looking for a good one…

It’s not that easy.

In Indiana retailers have to pay the wholesalers in 15 days. If you withheld that amount you would still “owe” them money. And if you aren’t paid up they put you on COD. And if you go on COD with one wholesaler you’re on COD with all the wholesalers!

Complete BS…

JD

John

Same terrible law in NY, except we have 30 days.

I have been very outspoken about the absurdity of the law. Again., it is because of the wholesaler’s incompetence that they need the state to step in on their awful accounting.

Next time buy Australian. Pour them in Sierra Carche bottles and sell them for $30.

and be sure to tell them that the drinking window is 2068-2111 - then you won’t get any complaints.

My biggest pet peeve is when they make the mistake and I’m the one that gets fcked. I sent my payment to one wholesaler certified mail for over a month once so that I could prove when the received the check. They didn’t like that because it made them take an extra step. I told them if their accounting department could properly process payment I wouldn’t have to do this. So, get your sht together and you won’t have an extra step. And, if you put me on COD, I can prove you had payment and I will take the matter up with the ABC.

Sure I was cutting off my nose to spite my face, wasting my time and money on certified mail, but it really was sort a fun in a twisted way.

JD

In the rare instances when this sort of thing has happened to stores/restaurants I’ve been at, the general protocol has been to tell the sales rep (or their manager) that they have one week to work it out or we stop ordering from them (save special orders for customers) and will giving away their shelf/wine list space away to competitors as the wine we have runs out. It has been quite effective in resolving these sort of issues.

You guys complain, but here in Maine, everything is COD by law. According to the letter of the law, if a wine delivery attempt is made and someone’s not able to write a check on the spot, the wine should not be delivered. COD all the time makes things a lot harder on the wholesalers and their customers.

Yes this is effective and I’ve done the same thing more than once. But (in my world) that can also affects the rep who often isn’t part of the problem. And sometimes keeping the rep on my side is also helpful.

JD

Thats kind of what Macy’s does isn’t it, Dan. Oh, no, wait, they withhold all the money they owe you until you can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that you should get the money. [wink.gif] … wife is GM of a local toy company!

Saul;

Your concept doesn’t appear to me to be able to work often. If a distributor carries 5-6 out of your 10 top sellers, you’re not going to cut him off over a couple of bottles of corked wine. You will most often just continue to fight through the system. If he is only bringing you low selling phlonk, you solution might work. Hell, that might be a good excuse to cut him off anyway!