Who is using DIAM?

My understanding of the wicking with earlier Diams was due to beveled/rounded edges caused that. I don’t believe the coatings (paraffin/silicon) were a part of that solution.

Jim, sounds interesting and rejection over 0.5 ppm is nice but threshold levels of TCA are far below 0.5 ppm. There are likely many (most) people that could not detect any problem but my guess is that many can at 0.5 ppm.

TCA is so tenacious, its threshold is in ppt levels.

Tom

That was a typo on Jim’s part. Amorim guarantees 0.5ppt or less (not ppm). My concern with that is a few (very few) tasters can detect/perceive 0.5ppt of tca (I’ve seen a few new corks & agglomerated corks offerings using 0.5ppt). Diam states they’re at 0.3ppt, which gives a bit of a margin. Course, this is a bit more important with agglomerated corks, since things tend to be more uniform.

Thanks Eric, of course I didn’t read the article so its my bad :slight_smile: Yea, 0.3 -0.5 ppt is more like it but as you say, a critical taster would probably notice it.

I worked with aromatic compounds for many years and the detection levels on these tenacious compounds is incredibly low. There are some compounds similar to TCA in structure that are essential to good coffee flavor but at ppt levels.

Tom

Yep. Sorry. Typed on my phone and never doubled back to check it what I had written was written correctly. Assume it auto-corrected somehow.

It should be called auto-incorrect.

So is the 2013.

You would think that the producers would be more vocal about using this closure, wouldn’t you? Do they feel that there is a potential for negative backlash based on moving away from traditional cork? Just curious to hear from those in the know. Cheers!

And though my question had more to do with burgundy producers, I guess the same could be said about domestic wineries.

BWhat are Diams like long term? Do they keep their (fairly limited) elasticity? Most of the discussion has centered on the first 7 years. But longer term, how does it stack up?

Howard, no, I haven’t, but although I’m running across them more and more, I’ve still had vastly fewer DIAM finished bottles than those with natural corks, and not surprisingly they’ve been from fairly recent vintages.

Eric, I checked my Fevre '09 Vaudésir and Bougros, and you’re right, they have natural corks. The DIAM from the '09 Montée de Tonnerre, however, is stamped DIAM 10-22 in addition to Chablis Premier Cru 2009. I’d think that that indicates a DIAM 10 (22=?), but the GC natural corks are stamped, respectively (and along with Chablis Grand Cru and the vineyard names), 10-27 and 10-29 (no DIAM stamp, of course). So, I don’t know what the 10-22 means if not DIAM 10, but there’s no 5 anywhere on the cork.

(Talk about counting angels on the head of a pin, this is why civilians think wine people are weird!)

Not everyone likes to talk about their closures as much as you do.

Hugel uses Diam, and is an ambassador of sorts.

P Hickner

That is true, but I feel that I need to at times. Just as Hardy is now talking about his closures.

It just seems to me that if everyone is pleased with these closures, that would be a positive thing to talk about, no?

Most of the producers listed don’t spend much time on social media.

I’m pretty sure this product hasn’t existed for very long, so no one knows for sure.

I would think this would argue for using them for white wines (esp. things like white Burgundies where there is a distinct problem) and short to mid term ager reds. But, then, to see how they work for these wines before trying them in classified Bordeaux, grand cru Burgs, Barolos, etc.

Too late. They are already in a number of very high end wines.

I may be alone in this, but I am always uncomfortable at the thought of substances I don’t know all the constituents of being in contact for prolonged periods with something I ingest regularly. It reminds me of the PEDs in water bottles concerns that had us switch to glass bottles. Progress often solves the problem right in front of us, like lowering TCA in wine and keeping the wine stored, without considering all the other potential unknowns.

Now, parafin and silicon could be fine, or not. But right away, I would want to know more. And frankly, that’s a pain in the ass and time consuming for me, so it’s easier to stick with natural old corks and put up with the occasional corked bottle until I know more.

But I live with a career health expert so I don’t have the normal point of view on this.

Well you have been a posed to paraffin and silicon on corks for years already. It’s not like DIAM are the first to use those substances. Not even remotely close.