Who is drinking Perkins HARTER?

I recently drank a 2021 Bracken PN. I didn’t take notes, but it was very good. Delicate and somehow also quite focused and powerful. This bottle was much improved over the first one I had tried about 14 months ago. I think that first one had not been in the bottle very long at all, but wow is it evolving into something special.

3 Likes

I’m in the same boat. I wish I would’ve had a little more in my budget for some of this. I almost pulled the trigger anyway, but I was already about 25% over what I had budgeted for BD.

1 Like

Webber, I picked up the Pinots and another board member San Antonian picked up the bubbles….we’ll have to get together sometime!

2 Likes

Received my Bracken: A site for the Acid Freaks - 3 pack last night. Will let them “rest” for a few weeks, pick one to open and post some notes. I love BD “discoveries” (discoveries to me) and this one is in the top of my BD purchases.

1 Like

Glad you think it’s coming around - I definitely use acid for structure in both reds and whites so time will be on the side of these wines. Keep in mind the '21 is only the 5th vintage from this vineyard (vines planted 2016). The '22 vintage really turns the corner on complexity thanks to roots finally getting deeper - and now it’s pretty amazing to see how the wines become more layered with every passing year. This is also where it is fun to compare agains Sojeau and see how wines from the two vineyards are becoming more alike in some ways…but also maintain their differences.

2 Likes

Also…note the 22 Sojeau was just bottled last week…it usually tastes pretty good for a few days after bottling but it will go into shock imminently…so hold that one if you got it.

1 Like

Just took delivery of the 2020 Bracken sparkling wines. Excited to dive into these, but may wait a bit and do a comparative tasting once Marcus’ sparkling wine arrives in the spring. Might make for some fun WB content :slight_smile:

1 Like

Took a Chardonnay for a spin last night. Light bodied. Elegant. Youthful but approachable. Clean/chiseled. Balanced. Easy to drink and most of all, quite yummy

7 Likes

This is probably the most approachable Chard I’ve ever made - definitely a bit more generous than the others I’ve made in the past. An earlier pick to avoid a serious botrytis take-down in the vineyard, and a little more oak than usual to give any botrytis impact some added structure. In retrospect I think these were both good moves that really succeeded for this vintage.

1 Like

Haven’t tried any wines yet Shelby, but I have to say as a design nut that I love the debossed labels. Very nice, you don’t see debossing very much. Roy Piper does it as well on his pied piper logo.

4 Likes

Thanks. It’s been a thing since my first vintage in Healdsburg in 2012. One of my study partners from the MW, Annette Alvarez-Peters (the long-time wine buyer for Costco) linked me up with her label guru at CCL Label and they’ve done stellar work for me every year.

The initial blind debossed art panel was smaller with the Zinfandel but it got bigger when I switched to a single wrap label with my move to Oregon in 2016. I maximized the art panel with the 2021 vintage - to make the artwork panel any larger would over-stress the paper and create rippling. Still, the typeface blind debossing does get a little stressed and it pushes away from the bottle when the debossing is too deep, as in the 2022s. I’ll need to talk to my printers about it on my next iteration, maybe we’ve gotten a bit too greedy with the panel.

1 Like

Stop dragging on Springsteen.

And @ShelbyPerkins let’s get together so I can pay you!

1 Like

You better hurry up and call me sometime! I’ll be around in the am.

1 Like

The 2022 Bracken Vineyard PN is really good with a 2 hour decant. Loads of floral notes and cranberry spice on the nose, with a lovely purity of Luxardo cherry, raspberry, and plum fruit on the palate supported by organic soil minerality on a long finish. This is lively, bright, and playful on the palate with enough supple tannins and fresh acidity to give this some structure. Probably will hold up well with 5-7 years of cellaring, but a joy to drink now with some air.

5 Likes
  • NV Perkins Harter Solera Blanc de Noirs - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Eola - Amity Hills (2/17/2024)
    Part of a wine dinner.

Had a weird sulfuric/egg/fermentation aroma that didn’t shake throughout the night. Palate had bright lemon with nice acidity, some minerals as well. Some lighter strawberry flavors as well. Medium to light body in style. Came across a touch thin and underpowered to me.

Wasn’t particularly impressed if I’m being honest. Maybe the bottle was off in some sort because we all commented on the nose.

Posted from CellarTracker

4 Likes
  • 2022 Perkins Harter Pinot Noir Eola-Amity Hills Bracken Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (2/18/2024)
    Phenomenal.

Lots of florals, crunchy red and purple fruits, potting soil. Shockingly delicious right now despite being very young still. I think this should age for another 10 years without issue. (93 points)

Posted from CellarTracker

5 Likes

Sounds like the bottle was off to me as I just cracked a bottle of the Solera and can’t get the sulfur notes you describe - just the mineral and citrus - and the bay/leaf tarragon notes that are endemic to our slope. Now, the 2020 has reduction…and that’s a different story! Happy to get you out a replacement bottle. On body…these probably should be held for another 6 months before drinking - the corks still haven’t lost their elasticity so think it would be too soon to drink and suggest holding. This brut nature needs some time in bottle to unfurl.

With these younger vines the wines are more approachable early…and don’t require the aging that Sojeau does…yet. I think it’s very likely that the wines will become more dense as the vines age and will require over-vintaging in the next few years…but I think there’s something to be said for the more approachable Pinots that can be made from Bracken right now.

Now that I’m sipping on this wine I’m starting to agree on body such that brut nature might not ultimately be the right move. I think going forward I’m in a good place at around 5g/L on dosage as was added to the 2020 - it’s a pretty good working balance that no one has to wait for.

Thanks for replying!

The bubbles was actually from @Brian_S_t_o_t_t_e_r so would have to see if he feels needs replacing.

Good to know re pinot. Bracken seems like a really delicious site. Would’ve loved if there was a 21 or 19 at the table!

2 Likes