Who Are Your Favorite N. Piedmont Producers

I’ll throw my vote in for Cantalupo Ghemme, Antoniolo Gattinara, and for Travaligni (at least their riserva Gattinara).

+1 for Ferrando, Antoniolo, Cantalupo, Traviglini.

I was in the Twin Cities recently, and a member of my old tasting group opened a 20-year-old Traviglini Gattinara. I was very surprised at how well it aged.

I recall Marco bringing out a pre-release sample of the 2006 to taste (might have been as late as in 2011) and wow, that was some wine. I never did find a bottle to buy, as there aren’t many stockists in Italy and they’ve never made it to the UK, despite an Italian pub owner threatening to bring some in. I managed to pick some 2009 Ghemme and 2016 Vespolina up recently from a European merchant who ships, but we’re hoping to get back to Ghemme next year.

p.s. a special mention for the Ghemme wine festival held in May, a rather convivial/friendly piss-up, rather more alcoholic than normal for Italy, but despite the hearty drinking going on, it’s very good natured/considerate. Strongly recommended for those who like seeing Italy beyind the touristic sites. Ghemme is most certainly not a tourist destination, looking rather humdrum, but we’ve found genuine warmth in the attitudes of the residents, perhaps epitomised by the lady running the gelateria, who gives the impression of someone who’s landed the best job in the world and wants to enjoy it.

I think many people often underestimate the age ability of wines…this region was clearly underestimated and ignored for a long time by many…now is probably the time to stock up while the prices are still reasonable.

And after Roberto Conterno bought Nervi (Gattinara) this is likely to happen faster than previously thought…

Is it better to piss UP or DOWN? [berserker.gif]

Lots of great names here, including my personal favorites Nervi, Antoniolo, ArPePe and Ferrando - the latter one I have actually visited during my trip to Piedmont. Vallana is good, but I really don’t consider them as high in quality as the other names listed here.

Produttori di Carema make some wonderful (and very reasonably priced) wines as well. They might be a bit behind in complexity compared to Ferrando, but they are similarly capable of aging for half an eternity.

Nobody here has mentioned Bramaterra. La Palazzina is definitely among some of the greatest producers in Alto Piemonte and definitely one to keep an eye on.

That’s only going to add marketing. I’ve tasted the wines, and they are fine to solid, but not rewriting how they are making wine there.

I am not a fan of Antoniolo (too modern) or Colombera and Garella (I just don’t get the wines).

I am a fan of
Tenuta Sella
Massimo Clerico
Conti - Just tasted 2011 Boca- WOW.
Boniperti- New producer for me, but very classy, traditional wines
Ferrando, although this may change. These wines are getting way too pricey.
Vallana and Produttori di Carema for value.

And yes I sell several of these, but you know, I like them, so… [cheers.gif]

[snort.gif]

At around $70-80 for these, the value is shrinking. But they do make a Canavese Rosso that sells for around $20 which is a great wine for the price.

Yeeesshh

Back in 2015 a bottle of 2011 white label was 22€ at the winery. That was ok, yet still felt rather pricey, seeing how the wines of Produttori di Carema were 8-9€ for the regular and 12-13€ for the Riserva! :smiley:

Just curious, how drastic has climate change been on recent vintages? Are the 2013s drastically different wines than a 2005, for example?

I was able to ask AG of Vinous this question. His view is the change would be too gradual over that period of time, and there will be bigger impact from changes in vinification processes. He also gave a lengthy discussion of how the wines will improve more if pricing improves, as they will have more capital to invest in their processes. He also made an interesting point on logistics, on how the region is relatively close to airport access, which makes it ripe for tourism to take hold (and thus helping the region earn more capital to improve their wine).

Good to see many mentions of Cantalupo in Ghemme. If Lombardia is to be included in the discussion, I’ve enjoyed the elegant and polished wines from Mamete Prevostini in Valtellina.

Had a couple bottles from Rovellotti over the last two weeks. Wow is it great juice! 09 and 11 Chioso dei Pomi. 09 is rich, plummy, truffley and really singing right now with many years of upside and development ahead. The 11 is more sleek in structure and feminine with pretty red fruits poking through the deep plum note with more orange peel and spice and many years ahead of it as well. I wasn’t familiar with the producer and it was sitting on the table with some heavy hitters at dinner so truly no bias when tasting it. It almost has that level of depth, extraction and velvety seamlessness that I find in Giacosa’s wines, albeit to a lesser degree, but damned if it ain’t too far off. Color me impressed.

I really believe that this region is going to become the next N. Rhone as far as hype goes. There’s just too much good to great wine across the board being produced here and the prices are so affordable it’s a joke. YMMV

Well clearly Martin Steinley agrees as well… These wines are no-brainers to make cellar space for. Not sure why they aren’t getting more love on this board

I just opened one of the 2010 Rovellotti Chioso dei Pomi last month and it was stunning. Elegant, balanced, complex, and very youthful. I immediately picked up a magnum to check in on in the distant future.