Who are the star up and coming US winemakers

Chris Peterson is doing some really good things with Avennia.

Cole Thomas - Madson
Kristie Tacey - Tessier

Sam Sheehan, Ian Brand and Steve Clifton are not new to this. Nor is Jamie in comparison if those names are part of the photo.

I guess “star” and “up and coming” are sort of at odds with each other, if you think about it.

+1

Ken Pahlow - Walter Scott

Yeah, I’ve come and gone already. I’m washed. But Nicole Walsh/Ser was once my boss, so I can’t be that washed.

The funny part about that idea is I only feel like I started making solid juice three or four vintages ago; the demands of the wine world now are such that they want you to be a star before you’ve found your footing. Becoming a good winemaker takes time. Vineyards growing into themselves take even longer.

But here’s (a non-comprehensive list of) who I’m watching in California that I consider to still be in the early part of their trajectory but established enough, with the understanding that several in the early part will have hit or miss vintages for several years. I did. Not all of these will make the leap, but I think most will.

Stirm Wines
Madson Wines
Samuel Louis
Lady of the Sunshine
None Such (Caitlin Wilkes)
Jaimee Motley
Raft Wines
Stoumen
Newfound Wines
Benevolent Neglect
Fine Disregard
Desire Lines
Press Gang
Penville Projects
Haarmeyer
Maidenstoen
Riley Hubbard/Hubba Wines
Nelle
Kobza (my assistant winemaker)

Apologies to anyone I missed, this was top of the head.
Ian

Well I guess we in the fly over Midwest are just a little late to the party. champagne.gif

Michael Cruse - Ultramarine

I appreciate the nod, Mike. The fact that I’m no longer a fresh face at 41 is a source of endless bemusement to me. It’s wine… you don’t start peaking until vintage 20 (or so)

Stanley Barrios at TOP, and of course Fine Disregard.

I agree with Ian Brand.

After 9 commercial vintages for Di Costanzo (19 total harvests under my belt), I feel like I am just beginning to hit my stride and producing the wines I have been aspiring to make.

Massimo

Helen Keplinger (Carte Blanche and Keplinger Wines)?

‘Up and Coming’ is such a broad descriptor - and many that would be considered ‘tried and true’ on this board are virtually unknown to most of the wine consuming public.

Therefore, I will continue to state folks like Steve Clifton, Ian Brand, Ryan Beauregard, etc in this list.

Cheers.