Who are the bad burgundy producers?

+1. They even screwed up 05s.

C. Confuron (not to be confused with the other Confurons)

Daniel Rion, too many corked Reds. FWIW I’m done buying serious Burgundy Whites.

Never had a Girardin red that Ive liked.

Bad or just mediocre? The only one I ever bought was some 96 Volnay that was not thrilling but not disgusting.

You better ask for the good ones? deadhorse

My guess is that the bad ones don’t get to the US, they barely get to the UK these days. I have loathed Perrot-Minot too but that doesn’t remotely make them bad wines, it probably means that I haven’t tasted them properly mature.

At this level it just depends on what you like. I far prefer recent Sylvie Esmonin to Rousseau but I wouldn’t claim that it’s better or worse. I wouldn’t dream of saying that Rousseau is a bad producer because the wines are not always to my taste, and I hope you wouldn’t say the same of Sylvie.
And Truchot is the diametric opposite of everything all the other producers you mention stand for.

or in this case, someone else’s Camus
alan

Pre 2005 Gouges…

TTT

You are certainly entitled to your opinion but 1999 and 2002 LSGs were great

Mediocre flavors but bad aromatics. Whatever strain of brett infests his winery is one that grosses me out.

Can’t think of any consistently “bad” producers, they just don’t get imported. But I can think of uneven producers that often underperform their terroir (all reds):

V. Girardin
Mongeard-Mugneret
Thibault Liger-Belair
Fourrier (yup, that Fourrier)
Maume
The entire Gros family
All the ex-cellar “undiscovered gems” a certain Southern California Burgundy Internet retailer likes to tout

All are frequently found in bargain-basement/blowout sales, except for Fourrier.

Finally, someone steps up to the plate!
Not that I agree with the entire list.

I dig Anne Gros wines.

Looking through my CT I notice I somehow acquired 2 bottles of 2009 Gros Frère et Sœur Clos Vougeot Musigni. In general I find Gros wines almost impossibly overoaked in a way that never integrates - and I love oak! Hoping for the best, I guess.

1 Like

It seems to me that some people don’t understand the difference between producers whose wines they don’t like or understand and producers whose wines are ‘bad’.
I’ve always felt that humility is a sine qua non in wine appreciation, but maybe I’m old fashioned.

Wouldn’t it be fair to say you have rather strong points of view about the best way to appreciate Burgundy wine? I think its great that you have these opinions and this community is the better for it, but I’m not sure they come across as humble.

Love the boldness even if I don’t agree with all of the list. I too have yet to really “get” Fourrier.

Shots fired! :wink: