White Chateauneuf-du-Pape

2014+. No sooner. IMO.

It depends on your tasting preference.
Usually all white CdP are drinkable with release. If you like the fruit foreward style drink them within 3-5 years - except Beaucastel V V and Rayas blanc.
Different from German wines CdP blanc is low in acidity - and has not many freaks here. Often after a dull phase between 5-10 years the mature wine is very different, with third stage aromas like nuts, hazelnuts, pines, dried fruits … and the fine examples can last decades.

I was at Clos des Papes on Thursday and had a long conversation on the topic with Vincent Avril. For their wines (which are made with equal percentages of five/six white varietals) his view is to drink them in the first two years (and enjoy the forward fruit) or wait 6-8 at least for the wine to emerge from being closed to show significant secondary flavors. We got to compare the 2009 from bottle with a 2001, and they were incredibly different experiences. I preferred the 2001, but it’s really a question of stylistic preference, as well as your ability to store them well (and keep your hands off them)…

Clos des Papes do come out of the closed period earlier–around age 10–and also differently. They taste minerally, something like a grand cru Chablis, with age. When one tastes at Clos des Papes, they usually have their new white and a 9 or 10 year old one to show what happens. Alas, like their reds, their whites are now very pricey over here (and over there for that matter).

I purchased an '06 Papes Blanc for about $40, so they are very affordable for a top tier Euro white.

I love making fun of RMP as much as anybody but I do not belittle his contribution. And I also admit that my palate aligns with his in a number of areas, particularly CdP and Calif Cab. I read his tasting reports frequently.
I like the notes and it’s also fun to count the number of times he says, “stunning.” [cheers.gif]

I find it always very hard to generalize about the Beaucastel V.V. … for instance, just had a 2001 this past summer that was stunning and had come back out, but a 1999 at the beginning of the year was still awkward. A 2004 a couple months ago was also beautiful even though I knew I was taking a risk that it was in the awkward middle stage.

I used to buy them much more because I could find them for around $100 or less, but seems no longer (particularly with the 100pt score for 2009)…what are they now in France? I used to buy them for around 65 Euros as I recall from a broker there which seemed reasonable, but by the time they get here it became tough to find them for below $130, that is until they go on sale because selling white CdP is hard enough at $50 let alone $125.

To add another thought, if I had bought some of the 09, I’d probably be looking to give the first one a try some time in the spring or so and see where it is but expecting it to take off in about a year. I do think that most other blancs are probably worth trying a bit younger so the Beaucastel is a bit of a different animal that I think it needs a bit of time after release.

Even though I’m a fan of white Chateaneufs, for the money, I go for Hermitage blanc. I know they’re different wines and grapes, but I usually get a better experience for the money from Hermitage blanc, even some Crozes Hermitage blanc. That said, I haven’t had too many well-aged white CdPs. That’s something I’d really like to get into.

Less than 5 or more than 15 to 20. In between, you takes your chances. They appear oxidized in these teenaged years but sometimes you can resuscitate them with some aeration. Don’t ask me the chemistry. I don’t understand it. It is alchemy.