White Burgundy Buying Focus: 2020, 2021, 2022?

Hey, I got an offer for Raveneau 2020 MdT yesterday for only $399 - so prices are PLUNGING!

that’s pretty good!

i have been seeing a lot more sales recently at retail. 2nd tier burgs are out there for release pricing

I have more experience with Chablis from 20 and 21 than CdB, but frankly I think both vintages are very worthy. I’d focus more on producers and particular bottlings you like, from either vintage. No experience yet with 22.

Yes, I’m only half kidding - it is the lowest price I’ve seen in some time. I have seen lots of sales recently too. Three good vintages in a row. The 2022 reds are quite good too. I would buy them over 2020 in a heartbeat. There were reds I tasted that were just bottled and I thought - I could drink this tonight - the fruit was that good.

1 Like

Hi Yaccov,

If focusing on 1er cru in CdB and then wines from Chalonnaise and Macon, 2020 is a wonderful, deep and dense vintage that should age well. 2021 is much more variable. There is a strange, almost tropical/gooseberry note in some of the wines, so try before you buy. The good wines are really good. 2022 is the vintage that could surprise on the up-side, much like 2018. There was a lot of wine made and they are ripe. I do like the balance of the wines I have tasted, and I suspect these wines will tighten and be more expressive with a year or two in bottle. Buy plenty of 2022’s.

cheers
Jeremy

2 Likes

I liked the few red Burgundies I have had from 2022 much better than those from 2020. The wines had a lot of richness, but also had good balancing acidity.

From only a thimbleful of experience, I really like 2020 white Burgundy. I just might like 2021 even better. It seems like a throwback vintage to the 70s, when white Burgundy had acidity. The very few 2022s I’ve had have seemed a little soft and overripe. OTOH, I’ve really liked the few 2022 reds I’ve had; opulent and balanced. I’ll be buying 2022 reds of 2020s or 2021s (but I’ll take 2019 reds over any of the three).

1 Like

Had my fair share of ‘20 whites CdB and they have been excellent. Was in Burg last year and was able to barrel sample ‘22s and bottle sample ‘21s (some were still in barrel). ‘21 is very heterogeneous to the point there are few great, some good and the rest… I would opt for ‘20 or ‘22 (unless the ‘21 style is your jam and then focus there but price and scarcity you could probably do better). The ‘22s I had were fantastic, and like Bordeaux, more dense but more acid than one would expect. Is ‘20 white better than ‘22 white- I just don’t know yet as the samples were excellent but not yet in bottle. I came away with the impression to go full budget and based on allocations ok to exceed.

Even though ‘22 was one of the hottest, it was also one of the driest and I would guess across the board picked one of the earliest, yet phenolic ripe and freshness. Keep in mind there wasn’t the heat spikes of 2003 or 2020 allowing them the time and learnings to take hold.

Good luck!

For what it’s worth, a buzzy, noted White Burg producer told me recently that privately most vignerons agree that 21 made great/very good wines, and better than the very good/good 20 or 22.

Yields were very low in 2021 but what berries remained were excellent. They had to work hard and show deft care to squeeze the best out of a tough vintage.

The more solar years were a bit “easier” and a shade lense tense.

He also noted ironically that prices went up in 21 because of short crop. But producers bumped prices yet again in abundant 2022.

I will say I’ve enjoyed the 21s and 20s I’ve had … but for different reasons .

'20 Guillot-Broux’s are pretty great!

1 Like

Tasting descriptors are very subjective, but in my lexicon gooseberries — which are puckeringly tart and acidic — are almost the diametric opposite of tropical.

PS Which probably illustrates yet again why tasting notes full of standard fruit descriptors are kinda worthless (one man’s strawberry is another man’s raspberry or even rhubarb).

21 Chablis I’ve had from reliable producers are excellent. For me that is Droin, Louis Michel, Bessin Tremblay, La Chablisienne. I prefer 21 over 20 and 19; the vintage is more “classical” in style and less ripe. Prices did spike for 21 and consensus is to tread deliberately. But the highs are high

If you’re going with 2020 Chablis, make sure you’re not highly “green” sensitive:

Personally, I haven’t detected any so I seem to be a lot less sensitive but other berserkers have had issues with this (@IlkkaL).

Yup, can’t wait to cry about my remaining 2020 Tribut 1er crus! (Fortunately have no other 2020 Chablis left)

Did you find the green issue in the 2020 Tribut AC?

Yes:

• 2020 Laurent Tribut Chablis - France, Burgundy, Chablis (4.12.2022)
    On the nose there is the classic tart-ish lemony fruit and the slight woodiness you would expect. However very obviously there is also something vegetal (think green asparagus) that sticks out quite clearly. Hmm. On the palate it is very much the same story. Nice airy yet nervous mouthfeel like always with Tribut, great acidity and minerally tones, but also vegetality that you would not wish to find here. Weird stuff, this is by all means otherwise classic Tribut and a hella nice wine on the palate but towards the finish the green streak gets very obvious and takes away from the enjoyment quite significantly. It doesn’t matter as much when drunk with food but on its own the wine suffers quite a bit from it. Such a shame, although my understanding is that Chablis as a region will have no problem selling through this vintage and moving over to 2021 (if this indeed is as wide spread as claimed).

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

I’ve loved every 2020 drunk so far. No personal tasting experience with 2021 and 2022, but I’ve bought 2021’s based on word of mouth and reviews. Jeremy’s comments on 2022 are intriguing.

Thank you and fascinating. I had one recently that I loved. I didn’t look for this green element but also didn’t find it, so maybe I’m immune to it?

Have 5 more.

Totally random but they are New Zealand bottles. Thats a first for me.

1 Like

Yeah I don’t know, I feel like maybe it’s just me, that I’m particularly sensitive to this characteristic. I also found something similar in some 2011 Loire Chenins and yet most CT notes for such wines didn’t seem to mention it.

don’t worry, i will 100% find it next time. it’s like when i buy a stock, immediately dips.