White Burgs

Lot’s of good white wine over the past week.

2014 François Raveneau Chablis 1er Cru Montée de Tonnerre: So fresh, so direct, so very Chablis. It’s all citrus and mineral with a razor sharp spine. It is rich, concentrated and detailed. There’s a sprig of mint and for all of its power it is extremely light on its feet. It finishes with awesome cut and length is superb. A great MdT.

2011 Domaine Ramonet Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Ruchottes: Certainly ready to go, with a bit of butterscotch sneaking into the aroma profile. There’s pure orchard fruit flavours and plenty of spice. It has a cool, plant material thing lurking in the background that is most pleasant. It is very mineral and there’s the usual Ramonet spearmint. It has good volume, intensity and drive.

2013 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Garennes: There’s a whiff of struck match and the finest of white peach. The palate is linear fresh and minerally. It has excellent detail and depth of flavour and finishes with almost Chablis-like salinity. Lovely wine with great purity.

2012 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Saint-Aubin Le Banc: We had two bottles, the first was a little more advanced but certainly within tolerances. The second had the usual PYCM flint and struck match in bounds. The fruit was generous, ripe and peachy. There’s a line of minerally acidity and it is a wine of good flesh but with a degree of poise.

2011 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Chassagne-Montrachet Les Ancegnières: Lightly smoky upon first whiff. There are notes of Arum lily, spice and fresh orchard fruits. It is relatively compact and lean in the mouth, finishing with good cut and sneaky persistence.

2010 Domaine William Fèvre Chablis 1er Cru Vaulorent: So fresh, fine sharp and intense. There’s a huge squeeze of squint inducing lemon juice. You get pungent minerality and a wine that is strict of line and with fabulous cut and length.

2009 Domaine Ramonet Puligny-Montrachet Les Enseignères: Full, generous and charming, with expressive orchard fruit aromas and flavours and plenty of spice. Acidity is moderate but the wine is fresh and has a suggestion of mineral towards the tail. A thoroughly enjoyable drink.

2007 Bouchard Père et Fils Corton-Charlemagne, Grand Cru: From magnum this was in ripping form. Pure white peach and lemon fruits are tinged with spice. It is direct, linear and deep in the mouth. It has great intensity but remains light on its feet. It finishes with excellent cut and length is superb.

2007 Bonneau du Martray Corton-Charlemagne, Grand Cru: From magnum this was pleasant but just lacking the detail I may have expected. The fruits have a slight tropical. edge. There’s some butterscotch sneaking into the flavour profile. It is rich and dense and persistent.

Jeremy:

I hope people don’t take your thoughtful and detailed tasting notes here for granted. Much appreciated.

You capture well why MdT is my favorite Chablis vineyard and Raveneau my favorite producer from QPR perspective… as nut$ as that sounds!

Thanks for the kind words Matthew.

I agree regarding the MdT. Pound for pound it is their best value wine.

Thanks Jeremy . No premox bottles ? Nice !

Nice note on the '09 Ramonet. That bottling seems to do well in the warm years for them. The '15 is very fine, definitely a step up over the Chassagne and regular Puligny villages.

some great whites there.

I believe that there is little risk of that. I expect that, for good reason, Jeremy’s notes are among the most viewed on the board. For me, even being ITB, the challenge is finding common experience such that I can offer anything substantive in a reply. However, that does not keep me from reading and appreciating every one. Thank you, Jeremy.

Herwig, we opened many bottles over the past week, four ended up down the sink due to cork taint and not oxidation. Roll on screwcap!

William, always one of my favourites from Ramonet. The Ramonet elegance certainly suits the riper years on this one.

Many thanks for the kind words Martin.